Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pangolin FB3 questions and a video

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Andy,

First, the DT-40 scanners are really 30K scanners. They are essentially copies of the 6800, which was a 30K scanner. Tuning them faster only generates heat and unwanted resonances. If you come to the upcoming SELEM, I would be happy to tune them for you, and give you other information...

Second, the LiveQUICK software that you have has a master scan rate setting (found in the settings menu I think), and then the actual scan rate for each cue can be specified in terms of a percentage of the master scan rate, or as an absolute scan rate for a particular cue. On top of that, there is a sort of "Live scan rate control" which is specified in percent as well.

For example, lets say you have your master scan rate set to 30K. Then lets say that a particular cue is set to run at 100% of the master scan rate. Then lets say you take the "Live control scan rate" to 50%. Well, at that point, your scan rate being output will be 15K, since the live control rate is 50% of whatever the cue says (in this case, the cue says 100% of 30K).

Probably none of this matters in the context of hurting scanners, because the default workspace we give you was optimized for use with 30K scanners. You should not be able to do any harm, regardless of how you move the live control sliders, etc.

I would love to explain this more, but doing it in person is a lot more effective than through a forum...

Best regards,

William Benner

sadly i wont be there as im in the UK.

heres a screen dump, i found the 30k option in the settings and the other scan rate on the right hand side, but i cant find the third one???

so leaving the scan rate in settings at 30k and setting the scan rate on the right to 100% means the galvos are bring driven at 30k??

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...s/untitled.jpg
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Hi Andy

You determine the angle your scanning at , and then set you speed accordingly. Measure the maximum width of your image and divide by the distance from the scanners to the image . Use a scientific calculator with trig functions on it, and do a tan function on the above result. ( Please anyone correct me if my trig is wrong, its been a while ! ) . The result will tell you the scan angle.

Personally, I start at 30 k and back the speed down to get the best image , least flicker combination, and go with that. I try not to get into the numbers game. Since your using stock images you don't know what speed they were written at , or the angle . So play and enjoy.

Nice pics by the way !

I have a few fb3's . Does the dmx operate, or the remote user interface ? I see the sockets are there.

If you do a screen shot of the software, I'll try and point you in right direction.

Fluff
    so are you saying dont worry to much about scan angle and scan rate as i wont blow the galvos???
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi,

First, if you right-click on a cue, there should be cue properties. Among the cue properties are scan rate settings for a particular cue. These may be different from the master scan rate.

Second, if the scanners are designed properly (big IF) and if they are properly heat-sinked (another big IF) then there can be no signal that you can put into the scanners that will blow them. They should be self-protecting, in a manor similar to an "impedance protected" DC motor.

Best regards,

William Benner

i see well i have the Dt40's, i dont know that much about them.

i will check out the cue settings when i get home
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Hi Guys,
    How much is the FB3 again?
    and who can supply?

I think I need to try Pangolin, as I am suffering with Phoenix...

Werner

Call Bill Benner at Pagolin (go to Pangolin.com for the contact info) and tell him you're a member here on PhotonLexicon and you're interested in the Flashback 3 controller.

You can get the full blown FB3 for $695, or you can get the "LA FREAK" version for $500. The hobbyist version does not have the DMX daugherboard, and it also does not come with a memory card for the flash card reader. (You can buy one yourself though.)

Note that the LA FREAK version is *not* licenced for professional use. This means if you're going to do a commercial show, you aren't supposed to use the LA FREAK system...

Adam

very interesting, why can you not do a commercial show with the Freak version?
    any other down sides to the Freak?
    is there a comparison chart of some sort between the 2 versions?

very interesting, why can you not do a commercial show with the Freak version?
    The idea behind this is that it is a product for the hobbiest. If you wanted to use Pangolin for commercial use, you should go with a QM2K.

any other down sides to the Freak?
    Good question, not sure myself. The software will aparently run on a QM2K so I'm thinking of getting a copy of it myself to check out.

is there a comparison chart of some sort between the 2 versions?
    I don't think the product is even announced on the Pangolin web site just yet. I believe they are putting the final touches on the software and when its properly released I'm sure there will be a very nice site setup for it. In all, I don't think you can beat the price for a product from Pangolin. I've owned a few of thier products and they have always been fantastic, not to mention thier service which is outstanding!

David

Cool, thanx for the info...
    Anybody own the fullblown version around here? Would like first hand user review.

On the other hand, Phoenix has launched there new version of laser show controller which I can upgrade to for 100.00 euro. comes with new 3d visualisation software?
    But, from personal experience the support from them ain't that good, so I would like to merge into Pangolin and think this FB3 might be the place to start. Love the idea that my projectorcan be setup without any pc connected to it and run a show....

Hi Werner

The fb3 is fitted in the lasers projectors we sell. The software is slightly modified for features specific to the brand , but on the whole its the same as live pro .

Have a look here http://www.neo-laser.com.cn/product_detail.asp?pid=953

You can also find the lite version software on the same site.

The lite version runs by triggering images on the memory card , which can be changed by the user very easily. It will run on USB 1 control or dmx .

The Live Pro version sends all the data from the pc and needs USB 2 for the increase in data.

You should get the idea from the web site.

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk