Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "like" button for posts

Default "like" button for posts

Sometimes I want to say thank you to someone posting a useful link or info but I don't know what to say other than "Thank you.". I think a like, rep, or similar button means the same thing and it might actually make the topic more readable by having less "Thx" posts.

I can't say that I have ever noticed any problem with "thx" posts around here or a need to thank people for their posts.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I recall this was brought up awhile back and, the concern at the time was it would make it feel too "Facebooky".
    PM Sent...

The real laser-housewives forum with laserlike buttons It's really superfluous here...

What's wrong with being facebooky?
    It's just an extra small icon appearing on the bottom-left of the post.
    To me it's only a matter of saying "thank you" when you don't have anything else to say beyond that or can't think of anything. There's a minimum character limit for making a post too.

Anyway, just a suggestion, not going to defend it or anything.

I like the idea of a "like" button. I would click on it for this topic if there was one.

A simple... "I like your post" Post reply or a simple PM
    would be just fine...
    I don't care for the Facebook "Like me or I'll
    be sad" crap.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

It has nothing to do with ego boosting, narcissistic buttons in social media platforms.
    It's just a simple way to thank someone for their posts, without making another unnecessary post, maybe not knowing what to say, not having anything else to add to a mere "Thank you" and when making one getting a warning that there's a minimum character limit for each post (which by the way in some forums is added just to limit to amount of "thank you" or "I agree" posts cluttering a thread. Whether it does or not is up for debate and I don't have a view either way).
    For what it's worth some forums I've come across have a "Thanks" or "Useful" button instead of "Like", they are all the same, really.

To be completely honest I didn't think it was necessary myself until two members pm'd me how I wasn't being thankful for their help posts and abandoning a thread after they had posted a solution to some problem mentioned in the thread or something. Both times I had to explain myself that I typed "Thank you" and gottena warning but didn't know what else to add without seeming pretentious.

A PM would work too if it was easier to open, mark as read and reply, but the current phpBB and Invision board systems make it more like an email than a chat system which is just wasted time for short things like "Thank you". And even if it as implemented like a facebook chat rather than an email system it would still be less convenient than a like or thanks button on the thread post itself.
    Plus I think PMs are more useful for longer conversations where it's actually more useful when implemented similar to emails rather than a chat. That's how I mostly use it, anyways.
    Last edited by Finale; 07-01-2017 at 04:38.

It's hard to believe PL has existed this long without a way to thank someone with a button.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    It's hard to believe PL has existed this long without a way to thank someone with a button.
    the best way to say thank you is by donating to PL.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.