Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Inherited laser equipment

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Given the abundance of CO2 optics, etc, I'm guessing that most of this equipment will be of more use to someone in a lab environment anyway, compared to a hobbyist who is interested in laser light shows. (Kinda hard to do a show with invisible beams, right?) Since you and Steve pretty much live in the educational lab environment, you're more likely to be able to use the stuff.

Adam
    If your trying to decide who should get the stuff based on worthiness, I know i may not have many posts on here but I'll throw my hat in the ring and share my last co2 build with you. it was a 5'x5' working area beast with a 50w tube. it was more or less built from scratch based on an open builds gantry design, and parts from all over the place.

Andy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Let steve take it all. If I need something he’s first one I ask anyway. A family matter requires my attention so I would have to bow out anyway.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

PM sent... With phone number.

I'm sure there will be enough to share with the other guy..

It can set in my laser barn till he and I can meet up. I have the YAG mirrors he wants as well.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    send me a PM, I'm in Mogadore and these days use lab laser stuff more then laser shows.

I can sort it with the speed of summer lightning, having done this for two decades and change.

I was just in Twinsberg, its 30 minutes or so each way given the Route 8 Deconstruction Mess.

Stuff I cannot use in Education will find good homes.

Steve `

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    PM sent... With phone number.

I'm sure there will be enough to share with the other guy..

It can set in my laser barn till he and I can meet up. I have the YAG mirrors he wants as well.

Steve
    Based on location, the intent to share, multiple people vouching for honesty, and most of all the "ability to sort with the speed of lightning", I'll be giving everything to Steve.

Thanks everyone.

Default how about a driver interface for a coherent ultra pulse 4000l?

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... I've built some simple drivers for "firestar V30" types of RF-lasers from Synrad (shouldn't be very different to Coherent's) - it needs a "tickle-pulse" for pre-energizing, what was then around 5kHz with 1 microsecond pulse-duration - then the power controlling was the same, as with my diode-modules - pulses with duration of 5 to 400 microseconds for power setting of 0 to 100 percents, with "speed-dependant" pauses between them ...

Viktor
    I have a few different ultra pulse models that i want to interface with one of my pie controllers or arduino controllers that run the laser version of GRBL. the problem is, the signal coming out of the GRBL controller to fire the laser when the g code calls for it is not what these heads like to accept. I hooked a logic analyzer to the data lines between the surgical controller and the RF head controller, and the signal required is sent down two wires and is differential or mirrored. the pwm signal is positive on one line and negative on the other, one is a mirror image of the other at the same time. the laser system in these units are coherent SL600, I have two more coming, rather i am picking up they are the 5000 series so i dont know if they are sl600 or not. Also i'm sorry i probably shouldnt have changed the subject of this thread. I'm still new to the forum so to speak, cause i havent had much experience posting.

Default I do belive I have shown I am trustworthy, Have I not?

Quote Originally Posted by karlkar View Post
    Based on location, the intent to share, multiple people vouching for honesty, and most of all the "ability to sort with the speed of lightning", I'll be giving everything to Steve.

Thanks everyone.
    I may not post as much material on here as a lot of guys do, but I would hate to have you thinking I'm dishonest! I was raised as a Methodist and the son of a minister after all. not to bring religion into the discussion or anything. But didn't our previous transaction with the tank RUBY laser go off without a hitch? Sorry maybe i'm taking this too personally, I was only looking at it from the way you worded your post to give it all away. you actually said
    Quote Originally Posted by karlkar View Post

Looking to give it all away for zero cost to you.

I will deliver/meet any enthusiast in Ohio. Feel free to sell any or all of it, but i'm worried if I donate to goodwill that it won't end up in the hands of hobbyists.

Zak
    Given that i was the last person you were talking to on here, and you said "looking to give it all away for zero cost to you" i couldn't help but think you were actually talking to me. and i was the first person to then respond to that post.
    hopefully you can then see my confusion! I actually thought it was a sign that it was meant for me because i just won some lasers on ebay and was going to be driving to Ohio this week. but hey I'm a good christian i can take the disappointment, but i did want to at least call it the way that i see it, because i have left too many things go in my lifetime without saying a word.

Mr. Destructo.

I have spoken to KK, we are working on a schedule. I'm a practicing Anglican, btw. Deal is we're gonna share... It goes where it needs to go, and if possible at no charge other then shipping. Not all to one spot, but we try to make it fit for the good of many, many, people in memory of his Uncle.

His schedule makes him need to flex like the wind, because family, home re-construction, and moving. Mine is a little more variable then his. I've arranged to borrow a van on short notice.

BTW< your looking probably at CAN bus or RS485 on the Coherent firing signal. Best guess from seeing what they do in their other units. I have a friend who is a third party service guy on many medical systems, I'll ask for what he has on that. CAN, while really for automotive and industry, gets used in a lot of medical systems because it is reasonably fail safe and provides an event time stamp in both directions. That also results in many good level shifter chips being available for trigger signals.

Don't worry, you'll get a chance to go over it. As for YAG optics, what I have is KTP -- 8xx Series Z fold, a box of used ones.

I have the phone number of a hospital disposal company in Cleveland that gets beaucoup pulsed YAG and other neat pulsed and CW toys. Stuff that is not in one piece, they dump quickly, although somewhat above scrap market values. I've came away with whole pallets of useful stuff. Two working SP 127 medium frame lab henes set me back 40$ each, for example. Was even allowed to test before buy. If I peaked them before buying, however the price would go up, as his time was valuable. Omni 643 working basically new whitelight was 200$ after negotiations, he let me use the building 220 to test.

I'll pass his number on to you this evening. I can't post it, as they are "serious customers only". They get impressive amounts of research lasers as well from bio-labs and hospital sponsored research. One day I told him to stop taking my calls, too many good toys became addictive and damaging to the wallet.

I use GRBL at work. Would like to talk to you some time about Laser GRBL.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-15-2022 at 07:02.

I've got the hardware. Much of it is Class IV pieces parts. Preference goes to academic, industrial, scientific and educational uses. Most of it will be "justify to me why you need it, and pay the boxing / shipping. Prove to to me you your old enough to handle class IV and waive liability"
    Yep, you heard that right, most things will be free or extremly low cost when I need protective packaging, ESD bags etc.

Stuff that is not wanted by end users will become hobbyist goodies at some point in time.

A few things are downright hobbyist oriented.

Some of it is best sent only a veteran Tesla coil person or Electrical Engineers familiar with high energy devices. There are a few items in the downright scary classification.

I have no idea yet what to do with the Star Trek Phasors.
    One of which has quite a large pulsed Yag head in it.

Watch the thread in Buy, Sell, Trade for items under "Tesla Guy"

Don't call me up and bug me. That puts you to the end of the list.

I reserve the right to give some of this privately to local institutions I know can handle it safely.

I'll also make up a box of prizes for Selem and send it to Adam for use as he sees fit.

There are only a few items that could be classified as a complete system..

Packing materials, tape, gasoline , communications, testing, travel time, and shipping are not free. After cutbacks at my employer, I cannot be that generous.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-16-2022 at 11:55.

Vast amount of low voltage wire and cable / connectors goes to local university corrosion engineering program.

Two 405 modules, a few hundred mw, goes to local university spinal research program for 3d printng nerve sheaths for nerve regrowth. Reason = good cause with demonstrated success. They asked for them.

Vast amount of co2 laser up and down collimators = TBD
    Need to catalog them.

Two SSY-1s, PFM , trigger network , inductors and spares, =TBD. Start thinking about your best essay on why your institution or company needs a rangefinding YAG , and that your a grad student or prof.. If not institutional, start thinking about a decent sized donation to a good charity if no institutional user comes forward. Tell me why you want it and how mature / over 21you are. Having worked with pulsed yag up to a Terawatt, I am leary of letting just anyone play with 1064. UsA only due to ITAR. When I'm ready I'll post in buy / sell / trade on PL.

Coherent Lasercheck = Dead. There is not much in them that is useful, a handful of 406 sized surface mount parts. The smd based wire bonded sensor is nearly impossible to recover.Having tried to replace the battery in this more modern version, its pretty futile to even try. I don't know, probably

Yag stuff. There is an assortment of short rods doped for pulsing and long flashlamps. Kind of mismatched.

Large amount of laser safety glasses; and I mean quite a pile. I need to catalog them. One pair to each user, free, pay shipping and boxing. USA/Canada only.
    US customs makes my life miserable.

Big box of caps.

At Selem you guys are going to have one heck of a small parts give away. Lots of 405 and 445 diodes ]pointer drivers, and pointer goodies. Collimating lenses , a barcode heNE, other stuff. Dtr and Axis diode laser parts. MM2 with 20 mm holes for co2 optics etc. Probably a good 15 pounds worth. Deal is, if you win it in the lottery, don't put it on the buy / sell trade table this trip. Use it to learn from.

-----
    There are some 808 arrays. Much of the high power 808nm stuff was tested with inductive adjustable resistors, not linear constant current drivers, so it has probably been stressed . I need to go through it. = TBD. Again, start on a one pager on what you need a 20 watt or 60 watt bar for, wave my liability and convince me that you have a use other then making a mega-pointer

I'll list items in BST when ready.
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-16-2022 at 21:09.

A Star Trek Phasor would fit right in with the Vintage Laser Archive, and may be of interest to those younger who visit the exhibit. Also, anything from the '70s or before that may be in the pile.