Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre simpledrive II driver problem

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    I can see your picture but yeah I don't know why I cant see the other two.
    Let me repost in another format to see if that helps you.

This is the first picture BBE posted:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBE Scope Pic 1.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	63.2 KB 
ID:	54096

This is the second picture he posted:

Name:	BBE Scope Pic 2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	54097

I have never seen the Simpledrive v500mw listed, never knew that existed, I don't remember when I ordered the v2500 that I am using but it has been in use for some time and have never adjusted the Zero setting or the bias.

knock on simulated wood I have only had one diode fail while on a v2500, could it possibly be an internment fault with the connectors?
    The v500mw version is fairly new. It appears to have a better rise time for these low current diodes. You can PM BBE or me if you want to purchase one. It certainly doesn't hurt to have spare / alternate parts when analyzing a problem.

That said, I don't think that the v2500s would be causing harm to your diodes. I used them for years on low current diodes and didn't have any problems. As BBE put it in another thread on this topic a while back 'its like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail'.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

i still can't see the pictures and i have tried two different browsers now, i dont know whats going on?

I would be interested in the 500ma simple drives but this month I am short on funds but would like to try one out
    Last edited by Draco; 05-18-2018 at 23:01.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Just to point out I see you mentioned a PL520 but we were talking about loosing a the sharp GH04850B2G 490nm diode which has different specs. So if trying to judge why it failed on the 2.5A version of the driver might be good to know which diode we are trying to figure out what happened to.

sinve I don't have a second 490nm I used the green ones (505 and a 520) on hand that have similar specs, my other blue diodes are high power so my train of thought was to use a single mode that is as close to the 490nm laser as possible
    Last edited by Draco; 05-19-2018 at 03:53.
    Remember Remember The 8th of November, When No One Stood, but Kneel, In Surrender
    In a popular government when the laws have ceased to be executed, as this can come only from the corruption of the republic, the state is already lost. Montesquieu

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    i still can't see the pictures and i have tried two different browsers now, i dont know whats going on?

I would be interested in the 500ma simple drives but this month I am short on funds but would like to try one out
    PM with picture links sent

David, thanks for repost!

You can remake your v2500 into v500, just need to replace shunt resistor. v500 uses 0.5 Ohm one. I have one used v2500r4, which I have remade - I can send it to you for free
    At first glance, they are very similar, I sketched I-V of this diode according to your tests. As we can see, it needs more than 6V to have the chance to die too.
    Just to point out I see you mentioned a PL520 but we were talking about loosing a the sharp GH04850B2G

Name:	GH04850B2G.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	54101

Many sensitive low-power diodes appear on the market, it seems time to design a special driver for them...
    Last edited by Bbe; 05-19-2018 at 07:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Bbe View Post
    You can remake your v2500 into v500, just need to replace shunt resistor. v500 uses 0.5 Ohm one.
    Oh, cool! The pots don't need to be swapped out? Assuming not, I've got about a dozen 2.5A I'd like to convert. They are a mix of 2.5 v1 and 2.5 v4. A picture directing me to the correct part to replace would be very much appreciated.

Many sensitive low-power diodes appear on the market, it seems time to design a special driver for them...
    I'd be happy to start using such a product on my sensitive 520nm diodes.

-David

Pots don't need to be swapped

Digikey has one that you can use for replacing
    https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...FECT-ND/678963

I've run into the issue of not being able to see attachments as well. Two things seem to work:

1) Right click and select "open in new tab". Often this will immediately load the image and you can see it.

2) Sometimes when you try the above trick, the forum will ask you to log in again, even though you're already logged in. But once you re-enter your login and password, now *ALL* the images in the thread will be viewable if you just refresh the page.

Adam

Thant would be great Bbe, thank you!