Thread: INeed some Help with CT6800, and Pangolin

Question INeed some Help with CT6800, and Pangolin

Hope you can help; I have recently acquired some CT6800s' with matched CB6580 amps. What’s nice, is I now have 2 scanners, and Pangolin cards one for Beams (catweazle, single color), and now the CT6800 for RGB graphics. But, I need help figuring out the pinouts to connect to the 24V power supply. I have found that pin 1 on P1 is Motor +, and pin 6 is Motor - so far. I am connecting these amps to my Pangolin Pro. Here are what the pinouts are for the d-sub 9 pin "P1":

pin 5 - 1a
    pin 9 - 1b
    pin 4 - Diode Common
    pin 8 - AGC Out
    pin 3 - AGC RET
    pin 7 - Shield #1
    pin 1 - +motor
    pin 6 - -motor
    pin 2 - Shield #2

I understand the shields, but my power supply has the following outputs:

G, -24V,G, +24.

I have the info to connect to pangolin, just not the power in.

If anyone could help it would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by Misebeam View Post
    I have found that pin 1 on P1 is Motor +, and pin 6 is Motor - so far. Here are what the pinouts are for the d-sub 9 pin "P1":
    What is the P1 connector on? The power supply, or the scanner amp? Do you have pictures you can post?

From the looks of it, it seems like P1 is actually the connector that runs from the scanner amp to the galvo itself, not the power supply input.?.

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Adam

Cool

Thanks for the pics... I see now which connector you're working on. I was able to find the following on the laserfreak forum:

J2-1 Powersupply -24V
    J2-2 power GND
    J2-3
    J2-4 pos input GND
    J2-5 pos input +
    J2-6 pos input -
    J2-7
    J2-8
    J2-9 power GND
    J2-10 Powersupply +24V

So based on this information, that connector carries the input power to the amp (+ and - 24 volts, and gnd), and also has the differential input from your controller.

Unfortunately, this information appears to contradict what your schematic says. (Well, not exactly. The same signals are present in your schematic, but they're on different pins!)

At this point I'd get in touch with Bill Benner at Pangolin. He worked pretty closely with Cambridge once upon a time; he should be familiar with that older amp design. Perhaps he can resolve the differences between the two.

Adam

Hey I appreciate the response, I thought it looked a bit strange between the schematics, and the actual pinouts. I think I will try to contact Bill on Monday. Thanks for the info!

Hi Mise,

You should be careful about a few things.

First, the DB-9 to CT-6800 scanner is a cable normally made by Cambridge. If you contact Cambridge directly, they will probably send you the correct wiring diagram for the cable. I wouldn't trust the information from anywhere else...

Second, and this is unfortunate... Cambridge from a long time ago misconstrued how pins are labeled on what are called IDC connectors. This is the type of connector that is used for power input and signal input for the CB6580. IDC is supposed to be labeled with even numbered pins on one side, and odd numbered pins on the other. Unfortunately, Cambridge made the pin connection like an integrated circuit, with pin numbers consecutive, working around the connector in a U-shape, which is incorrect... Nevertheless, this means that you need not only the connector pin-out, but also the "interpretation" of pin numbers. Again, Cambridge will be forthcoming with a diagram that will illustrate this for you, if you contact them.

Best regards,

William Benner

Hey,
    Sorry it took so long on the reply, but I finally have my new CT6800's up and running! Thanks to all for information, and guidance. I received all of the pinouts info from Cambridge, and the Galvos are up and running. These galvos put my Catweazle to shame, but it works out awesome now because I have the Catweazle scanner solely for Beam effects (argon Blue / green third order waste beam from PACOM)

Thanks again to everyone!

sorry to necro bump but anyone have the schematic for the 10 pin dual row to DB9 connector to hook up the CT6800s to the Cambridge amps?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

http://www.skywise711.com/lasers/scanner/scanner.html

Skywise has kindly hosted this for me for years...

Check your galvo with Ohm meter, Cambridge's IDC numbering scheme is often reversed in drawings.

To check, measure coil and led pins.
    AGC out should be one side of the LED, AGC return should be the other. The LED is the two lead golden can on the side of the base.
    The coil leads are about 3.2 ohms. Ia and Ib are the photodiodes, which return to diode ground.

Where it says add foil inside the connectors, and use a dual pair of shielded cables, it means it. Also study the note on motor polarity.

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAMB68xxCable.png  

Last edited by mixedgas; 12-18-2014 at 04:31.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

perfect exactly what I was looking for

I found a bunch of stuff related to the 6800 online but not that one page for some reason

thanks