Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDN (ILDA Digital Network) open source tools

Default IDN (ILDA Digital Network) open source tools

Hi,

I've set up three open source projects around IDN on GitHub. All are multi-platform
    (Linux/Posix and Windows) and fully functional. Contributions welcome :-)

- The IDTF Player: https://github.com/DexLogic/idn-C-idtfPlayer
    This tool plays ILDA IDTF (Image Data Transfer Format) files across networks using
    IDN. It is commandline with various parameters including scaling and timing.

- IDN-Hello network scan: https://github.com/DexLogic/idn-C-helloScan
    This code illustrates the (very basic) discovery process of IDN-Hello devices on a
    network.

- The server list library function: https://github.com/DexLogic/idn-C-serverList
    This code implements a fast and sophisticated way of finding all IDN servers on the
    network through IDN-Hello. It does this by simultaneously scanning all interfaces and
    simultaneously processing all conversations (while single threaded). It then provides a
    list of servers (and their names), addresses on which they can be found and services
    (and their names) that they provide. So - no need for users to deal with network
    addresses. Everything can be identified by user-given names...

Please note that the most advanced (and only finished) standard of the IDN suite right
    now is IDN-Stream (the message exchange format). Regarding standardisation we're
    working on IDN-Hello (discovery and realtime) but postponed a bit in favour of IDN-File
    (storage of messages in files).

Best Regards
    --Dirk

Default Must have a look!!

Sounds great dirk, i must have a look!!.
    im currently trying to make up some wireless units to go from a dac to the lasers.
    Software was easy but hardware is more difficult im not an electronics designer!.
    ill look at the IDN stuff if i can use it in my units then that would make them more open .basically im looking at making a one to many transmitter / receiver setup over wifi. i was using udp but if its all been done and standardised why reinvent the wheel!.
    phil.

Hi Phil,

hmmm wireles from DAC to Laser - well - that sounds like analogue wireless/radio transmission. I'd not recommend this.
    Probably easier/cheaper (in sense of existing hardware/solutions) and more reliable is to transmit digitally and have the DACs at the lasers.

The idea of IDN-Stream is to encode the laser data into a stream of little messages/packets that can be sent, transmitted, stored, buffered - whatever.
    Plus - loss recovery in case messages are dropped. So - as long as a receiver gets access to such a stream it is able to decode it and feed a DAC.
    Distribution of the packets can be any way you like - broadcast, multicast, singlecast. From my experience however I'd not put too much effort in the
    one/many solution regarding multicast/broadcast as "real live" showed that, in the end, artists like variations in the outputs - and may it just be an angle
    or mirroring. That's why I focused on singlecast (one/many sender(s), multiple receivers, eventually all different data). Bandwidth and processing power
    isn't such a problem any more. But - IDN-Stream in general can do all three - just a matter of the transport layer.

We (ILDA Technical Committee) are working on standards for the transport. IDN-Hello will be receiver discovery and real time streaming. There are basic
    thoughts on reliable transmission and ahead of time transmission - but this may take a while since because of usability and demands we like to focus
    on files first.

Best Regards
    --Dirk

Is IDN still progressing? Any updates on the thought process behind this?

Sure, it is progressing. It may not be as fast as we wished - but it is :-)

Last year we added the service discovery to the IDN-Hello protocol (the serverList on GitHub uses it) and started the file format. There is a small recorder and the code is planned to be released as well - but there still might be basic changes... and - may have to wait for the playback code. In case you need it right now, just contact me. I can mail it.

Currently we're adding/extending to IDN-Hello. Basic parts are done and working for years but we like to get some more stuff in for the standard. A few weeks ago we finally found a good solution for the group management. This is needed to manage events like ILDA LaseOff/Awards and similar - such that switching between clients can be done on a protocol level. It's in review and proof of concept now. Still open is parameters/properties. Next is setting up a new/better collaboration environment and working towards getting the IDN-Hello standard done. Then is the audio profile for IDN-Stream which will enable the storage of entire (synchronized) multi-projector lasershows including audio and DMX512 into files...

Best Regards
    --Dirk

Thanks for the update. Sounds great.

Any thoughts about a library set for Linux for the protocol? C?

With Library - what is it that you have in mind specifically? Send frames, waveforms, samples, lines, color morphs, curves?
    The easiest case is open a socket, put samples together in a packet/message and send. An example for this is the IDTF-Player.
    More complex would be to monitor the other side (we just extended the concept/draft of IDN-Hello for it) or ahead of time streaming with buffer management...

While I absolutely appreciate the amenities of libraries - there is more than one approach :-)
    Besides my proof of concept Library (in Java, non realtime) - there are at least two people working into this direction but there is nothing generally available yet (as far as I know). I think this is mostly because of versatility vs. handling issues and because things are evolving. I've started with setting up a website to get all efforts together (and to be a starting point). You're invited to take part :-) And in case these news didn't spread too far yet - ILDA has an award for IDN-related technical achievements, eligible for everybody (not just ILDA members).

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

What tools do I need to turn the IDTF player C code into a compiled Win 64 EXE?

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    What tools do I need to turn the IDTF player C code into a compiled Win 64 EXE?

Steve
    I can build it for you. Send me your email address or some place I can send the binary.

Alternatively, you can download Visual Studio Community edition and do it yourself.