Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up list for SELEM 2007

Cool

Hi Mike;

Are you talking about Mixedgas' comment about a Laser Safety Officer? I think that was more toungue-in-cheek than anything. I mean, Newtwon, NC is pretty far off the beaten path (like, not the end of the earth, but you can see it from there!), so I don't think we need to worry about an LSO from the CDRH showing up!

And even if one did manage to have a summer home in town and decided to stop in, he wouldn't have jurisdiction. (Private party, as you said.) Though in all likelihood he'd probably want to come in and check out the show just for the hell of it. The guys I've talked to at the CDRH all seemed pretty cool people.

And yeah, it's open to anyone from PhotonLexicon and their guests, but not to the general public. (We won't have people walking in off the streets.) We may have a few people from the Civic center stop in to see the lasers though. I didn't see any problem with that, so long as they can follow directions. (Stay away from the 3 phase power supply, no drinks near the projector or the computer, and don't stare into laser with remaining eye... That sort of thing!)

In fact, the woman that runs the Bed & Breakfast has a 21 year old son that expressed an interest in having a look at what we're doing. So long as he doesn't cause a problem I told her that I'd be willing to show the dude around a bit.

RE: Pizza... I spoke with Reggie Helton again today, and he said there's a mom and pop pizza shop really close that will deliver right to the auditorium. Also, there's a somewhat nicer resteraunt that is about a mile away that's supposed to be really good. Owned by a Greek couple, he said. They've got a few authentic Greek items on the menu, plus your standard fare.

I'm hoping to take a road trip up there in the next couple weeks or so to check everything out and get a feel for the lay of the land... I'll post more details after I get back from my scouting trip.

Mixedgas mentioned one important item: A sound system. Reggie said that he's 99% sure that the theater's house sound system will be all that we'll need. I tend to agree with him, but that's one other reason why I'd like to go up there and check everything out beforehand. I'm not so much worried that it won't be loud enough (I'm sure it will), but I'm concerned as to how difficult it will be to patch into it, not to mention controlling it. (I don't want to have to run up to a damn sound and lighting booth above the balcony 10 times a day...)

Steve-o;

Your list looks great! Soldering iron is probably a good idea. Also, a computer w/ a network card if you want. (Will probably set up a small LAN for video/picture fileshares.)

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-12-2007 at 14:18.

Well, I have an old dell pc (celeron) win2000 with an ethernet card and a cheap webcam.. Will that do? I'm not sure if thats what youre talking about..
    not sure if i can cram all of this into a stratus 2 dr cpe .. heh, need a big truck probly -i'll
    try :>
    Last edited by steve-o; 07-12-2007 at 16:30.

ok, since its only a 45 min drive at the max for me, i am coming

I am bringing the following:
    1.7 watt RGB analog diode laser
    2 watt lexel 88
    8 watt lexel 95
    full auto setup
    pango qm32 pro

i will prolly end up bringing some other things, adam if you find out you need something that was forgotten, call me, i might have it.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Hi all, I talked to Buffo earlier this week and basically I will be in Memphis at the time of this gathering. Close, but not close enough. I mentioned to the boofer
    that I would post a picture after with me and the clients so everyone could see what i was doing. It does seem however that a flem deux will occur later in the fall-
    Dreambeams- question, I never saw a lexel 95 that could do more than 6 watts new, I was curious if the tube you have may be an older 298 extended version that used to pump dye for medical apps--??
    Peace

mr allthatwhich- eat my dust- emotiocon king
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blowjob3.gif  

dogmating.gif  

rockyou.gif  

sado.gif  

Last edited by clandestiny; 07-12-2007 at 21:50.
    go big or go home

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Well, I have an old dell pc (celeron) win2000 with an ethernet card and a cheap webcam.. Will that do?
    Hi Steve;

Sure, that's fine. I just figured if folks want to share pics & video it's easier to do it across a network than to sneaker-net it with a thumbdrive.

Dreambeamz: Awesome! Looks like you've got a full load there! Should be great fun to see that Lexel 95... And thanks for the offer for additional gear - I'll let you know if we need anything else. (Are you going to come early on Friday to setup? If so, let me know. I'll be there around noon with David Zurcher getting things in place.)

Paul; You've really got me wondering who your client is... But I guess I'll need to wait for the pictures. Sorry you can't make it, pal.

RE: FLEM mark II, yeah - we need to start thinking about that. Late September or early October would probably be a good time for everyone. Of course, January of '08 would work well too. Let's kick some things around after SELEM is finished.

Adam

Adam-
    I'm not up to speed on networking and such (e.g. computer-illiterate)
    I can wreck 'em pretty good though
    What do we hook up the PC /ethernet cable up to? Does that require a router or external modem (no internal on this one) or do we vid to the HD for distribution or utube later?
    Steve

Cool

Hi Steve-o;

I'm bringing an 8-port Ethernet Switch. All you need is a network cable to plug your machine into it. We won't have Internet access, but we will have a local area network that we can push files back and forth on.

Adam

Okey-Dokey then
    I can handle that.
    Cant wait to see those big argons of Dream Beamz And MixedGas in action
    I'm going to send in the deposit to hold the Auditorium so no one else can get it.
    Adam- When and where do we send in the $ for this event? Do you need it now or when we get there?
    (I dont do paypal anymore)
    Steve
    Last edited by steve-o; 07-13-2007 at 07:21.

Lightbulb

Well... Canada might not happen after all. I'm looking at $1200+ and Idon't think I can pull that out of my ass even for a real good friend's wedding... So I may talk the Lasagna Queen into letting me attend, I will have to drag her with me too though. Does the Bed and Breakfast have a bar?

I guess put me down as a maybe. Is anyone from Florida planning on a caravan? I guess flying is kinda out of the "?". I'd hate to check my projector, and I don't think it qualifys as a carry on...

Hmmmm, clandestiny... You're lucky I'mnot at work. I have my raunchy link there. I've tried to ignore your taunts... but. You may make me do a search to find some nasty one. I try to keep the good ones away from the home front. Don't want to scare the neighbors.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Cool

Hi Aaron;

Sure hope you can make it dude... Bring the GF along; I'm sure she'll find something fun to do, even if it's not at the auditorium with the rest of the laser geeks!

Re: travel... I know that David from Jags!onville (see - I spelled it right this time) is going to be driving up. Not sure about Marconi yet. (Back trouble may keep him at home.) Bill and Hayden may be flying up or driving; haven't decided yet which. Fred was thinking of driving, but the latest word is that he probably won't be able to come - last he checked they had him scheduled to be out of the country that week. Still, maybe you could caravan with David...

Re: the Bed and Breakfast. You'd better hurry! The last I heard, they only had 1 room left! (They have 5 rooms total; I've got one, and I think David, Hayden and Bill got the other 3, leaving just 1.) (trotthouse.com)

If you miss out on the B&B deal, there are several other places to stay that are between 7 and 10 miles from the auditorium. You got your basics like Super 8 and Motel 6, but also some nicer places like Holiday Inn, Ramada, Days Inn, and even a few suite-only hotels. Google around Newton, NC and you'll find some. (May have to go north to the I-40 corridor to see them... It's about 5 miles to I-40 from the auditorium.)

Plenty of things to do in Charlotte if you wanted to make a whole vacation out of it. (Carowinds is well worth the trip, assuming you're into roller coasters...) Let me know if you need a list of attractions in the southern NC area.

Re: Payment... I don't know yet. I'm going to front the deposit now, just to be sure we're locked in. Then I need to check the lease paperwork from Reggie to see how they handle payment. (The info packet hasn't arrived yet.) Since the total cost will depend in part on how long we run each day, I was considering just holding off collecting anything until the actual event. But that may change depending on what Reggie says. (If he wants payment up front in full, for example.)

Steve-o: Yeah, I know what you mean. There's nothing like seeing a big ion laser in operation. I'm especially interested in Mixedgas' I-90 whitelight. I've only ever seen one of those in operation before. Very cool stuff!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-13-2007 at 15:36.