Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign up list for SELEM 2007

Give me a call on my cell phone when .....
    Sounds good. I'm working on being able to get there sooner. The wife wants to come and we are working on a sitter for the rug-rat. I'm sure no one wants a 2 year old running around cleaning everyone's optics and such...

a 2 year old running around cleaning everyone's optics and such...
    Hey.. free optics cleaning- that could be part of the door prize!

Cool

Ok - sure - she'll be using lens tissue and all, but what sort of cleaning solution would she use? (If it's got anything to do with the human nose, I'll pass.!.)

Seriously though, you're probably right. A 2 year old would be hard to handle and would no doubt get boored rather easily. Plus I did tell Reggie that we were all adults. (I use the term loosely, of course!)

FWIW, there may be one or two other wives/girlfriends/significant others present. Maybe they might all decide to take a shopping trip to Charlotte while we fool with lasers.?. It's a thought.

Adam

snotty optics- snoptics-

Yeah I kinda accidentally invited my wife -so she may be there
    -or not-
    -she hasnt decided

SNOPTICS!!! ROFLCOPTERS!!!

That's priceless dude...

And no worries re: invinting your wife. She won't be the only one there, I'd wager. (Though she might get bored and end up going back to the hotel...) I actually invited my wife, but she isn't into lasers, so she said no. (My oldest son may be coming though... He's 20.)

Folks, feel free to bring guests. Neighbor, co-worker, good buddy, whatever. It's going to be a social event, after all. Just make sure they can follow the rules. Don't want anyone getting hurt, and we also don't want to damage any of the rather expensive equipment some folks will be bringing.

Adam

Free Snoptics for all who attend! Actually, if my wife does come we probably wont see much of her, she plans on reading some new book thats coming out without the "little ones" disruptions! So it may be a get away for the both of us!

Folks, feel free to bring guests. Neighbor, co-worker, good buddy, whatever. It's going to be a social event, after all. Just make sure they can follow the rules. Don't want anyone getting hurt, and we also don't want to damage any of the rather expensive equipment some folks will be bringing.
    This kinda makes me wonder, where is the line that defines an event from being public or private? Just wondering in case we happen to have a "visitor". I doubt that we will, but it also make me wonder if we may have anyone lurking around here...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    This kinda makes me wonder, where is the line that defines an event from being public or private? Just wondering in case we happen to have a "visitor". I doubt that we will, but it also make me wonder if we may have anyone lurking around here...
    I dunno if we have anyone from the CDRH "lurking around" here. My guess is that if anyone was here, they'd jump into the discussions and try to educate rather that hide in the shadows hoping to bust someone. Everyone I've ever talked to at the CDRH has been *very* helpful.

As for the event itself, it's absolutely not open to the general public, and we're not charging admission per se. Granted, there is rent involved in leasing the auditorium though. I don't know if that counts as indirect commerce or not. My guess is that it doesn't count though, because it's a private event, because the members are paying for it evenly, and because there is no profit involved - just enough to cover the lease fee for the facility. (Which is also a non-profit organization, btw.)

If the venue was open to the public, then we might have a problem, because they could consider the rental fees to be "indirect commerce". But our event is not open to the public. (Open to the public would mean that we would allow anyone to attend, rather than requiring them to be accompanied by a member of the forum here, and we would charge them a fee to get in.)

Also, events that are open to the public but are otherwise free (such as a demo in a school or a church) are not within the CDRH's jurisdiction, so I really think we're in the clear here.

Having said that, the only rule we'd probably be breaking is the 10 ft off the floor rule. (Well, that, and the fact that most of the projectors won't have a variance...) But everyone that will be there should already be aware of the dangers. (And if anyone does decide to bring a guest, they need to be sure that they inform them of the risks beforehand and keep an eye on them to ensure their safety.)

We had a few guests at FLEM, and it went pretty well I thought. Though this time we'll have some more powerful lasers, so when those big ion units get fired up we probably ought to set up a "no entry" zone around them just to be safe. We'll see how it goes during the setup.

Still, it's a good topic to discuss. Anyone else have any thoughts or concerns about safety? Is there something else we should be planning for that we've missed? It is important to remember that even if the CDRH doesn't have jurisdiction, we can still be held liable if we do something stupid and someone gets hurt. I don't think that will happen with all the talent we'll have there, but it's something to keep in mind. We don't want any injuries... (That would totally spoil the fun.)

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post

Plus I did tell Reggie that we were all adults. (I use the term loosely, of course!)
    Adam

Adam, did you forget that I was going to be there?
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.

Default Update on door prizes

Hi all,

Bill and I will be bringing 3 DMX1602-DRV boards and 3 RLY16 boards made by Logic Systems.

More information on these boards can be found at http://www.lsione.com/dmx512.htm

Hayden
    Ex-Keeper of the QM2000 boards.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden
    Adam, did you forget that I was going to be there? Bill and I will be bringing 3 DMX1602-DRV boards and 3 RLY16 boards made by Logic Systems.
    Hi Hayden!

Well, I did say that I used the term "adult" loosely... hehe; we're all going to be acting like a bunch of kids I'll bet.

And check out those door prizes! *WOOT* That's like $900 worth of stuff. Very cool! You guys rock!

Glad you're going to be able to make it to this one buddy. Bill said that you wanted to go to FLEM back in January but ended up with a last minute conflict. You sure missed a good one then. But this time around ought to be even more fun! (It's peanut-butter Jelly time!)

Adam