Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ClubSELEM EDM Choices and Scheduling

Default ClubSELEM EDM Choices and Scheduling

Hi all,

What's New?

We're going to wrap a little structure around the ClubSELEM experience this year. Past years have pretty much been a free-for-all as far as music choice and and console access goes and as a result, I believe many people's enjoyment of the space is not as high as it could be. In order to be more inclusive, and to change the tempo now and then, we'll be carving out one hour slots from 8pm to 2am each night for people to enjoy their favorite EDM genres and artists. We have Kevin again this year who will bring his DJ rig, but what gets played on it (and even who gets to play with it) is up to YOU! There are MANY sub-genres of EDM and I would like to explore more than we have in the past. Changing up the mood on an hourly basis also increases foot traffic as people will know to come back in an hour if they don't like what's playing now. To that end, I'd like to hear from YOU, what kind of EDM do you enjoy (artists or sub-genres are fine) and want to jam out to with light?

How will this work?

The Club is an excellent opportunity for anyone, novice to expert, to come in and play with the various "rigs". In the past, we've had 4 or 5 laser control stations and this year will be no different. Many of us have customized our setups and I think we'd be well served to have an afternoon session each day in the club (content to repeat) highlighting the features of both the DJ rig as well as the various laser control stations. We'll turn the music way down and give people a chance to learn the systems in a more curated fashion. I'm thinking this could occur around the 4 o'clock hour each day?

What you can do

Chime in below with your favorite EDM artists/genres. If you have music you'd like to play, bring it with you on a USB stick and we can load it into the DJ rig. If you don't have access to the music, tell us and we'll get a hold of it. If you want to hear the music but don't want to DJ, we can accommodate that as well. Time is of the essence here, so let's just start with people's requests and we'll build this into something great. We're aiming to make this year's club experience something special and this is your chance to help shape it, so please don't be shy.

Genres I like:
    Electro/Funk
    Minimalist House
    Downtempo
    PsyTrance

Artists I like:
    The Floozies
    Grammatik
    GRiZ
    Bluetech
    Kalpataru Tree
    Carbon Based Lifeforms
    Richie Hawtin
    Massive Attack

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

cool... i really want to try my hand with some console time this year. just don't mock me too much

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    Genres I like:
    Electro/Funk
    Minimalist House
    Downtempo
    PsyTrance

Artists I like:
    The Floozies
    Grammatik
    GRiZ
    Bluetech
    Kalpataru Tree
    Carbon Based Lifeforms
    Richie Hawtin
    Massive Attack
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Artists I like:
    Paul Oakenfold
    Armin Van Buuren
    Pete Tong
    Sasha Digweed

I have no desire to Run DJ equipment just trying to help out.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Just be careful...Some peeps found those consoles Very Addicting!

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    cool... i really want to try my hand with some console time this year. just don't mock me too much

I am actually interested in DJing a 90-120 minute set of music. Not sure if that is what is being proposed here. Actually, not sure exactly what is being proposed here - but I would like to add my opinion that last year's music choice was a little on the monotonous side (that's putting it lightly).

There are two directions I would be interested in exploring with a DJ set (could possibly be two different DJ sets or an interesting mix somehow given I have the time to prepare)... One direction, in keeping with the EDMish theme, would be Deep House / breaks. Deep House is no where near as fast as modern day EDM (Deep House = 115-130bpm). It is no where near as boring . It is no where near as generic. Deep House typically integrates elements of Techno, Jazz, Bossa, Samba, and many other elements of world music.

Another direction I find interesting is harder to explain - but could best be describe as a curated music journey - just simply good stuff.

Listing Deep House artists is a bit difficult, as apart from the early influences of Chicago house and later SF psychedelic house, many deep house artists / DJs hide behind white labels and obscure aliases, but here are a few:

Derick Carter
    Carl Cox
    Mark Farina
    DJ Rasoul
    Garth & Jeno
    Kevin Yost
    Hardkiss
    DubTribe

Last edited by BlueFang; 07-12-2017 at 20:46.

LOL @ a bunch of middle age guys DJing house music to no audience.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    - but I would like to add my opinion that last year's music choice was a little on the monotonous side (that's putting it lightly).
    I could not agree more.. I stopped in Club SELEM several times, and it seemed (to me) the music was pretty much all the same monotonous beats, and of course, not a single thing identifiable (again, to me, I'm old). It would be fantastic to know that between certain times, there is more accessible music to enjoy the room that much more.

That said, here are some suggestions, I have some of this, but not all:

Moby
    New Order
    Depeche Mode
    Deadmau5
    Utah Saints
    Faithless
    Fatboy Slim
    Daft Punk

That's off the top of my head... I'm sure I'll come up with others.

EDIT: Oh, just got to the 32' mark in that video.. and what do I hear?? New Order. It's magical how he segues into New Order there. What a great video!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFang View Post
    I am actually interested in DJing a 90-120 minute set of music. Not sure if that is what is being proposed here. Actually, not sure exactly what is being proposed here - but I would like to add my opinion that last year's music choice was a little on the monotonous side (that's putting it lightly).

There are two directions I would be interested in exploring with a DJ set (could possibly be two different DJ sets or an interesting mix somehow given I have the time to prepare)... One direction, in keeping with the EDMish theme, would be Deep House / breaks. Deep House is no where near as fast as modern day EDM (Deep House = 115-130bpm). It is no where near as boring . It is no where near as generic. Deep House typically integrates elements of Techno, Jazz, Bossa, Samba, and many other elements of world music.

Another direction I find interesting is harder to explain - but could best be describe as a curated music journey - just simply good stuff.
    YES! This is exactly what I'm after. Will put you down for a set!

I'm thinking we'll offset the time slots 15 or 30 min from the hour (Auditorium schedule runs on the hour) so things don't start the same time in different spaces. This will give people an opportunity to catch some or all of different things without having to choose one or the other.

The goal is to get more people actually interested in spending some time in the club listening to music that doesn't make them want to strangle a small animal. The Hardstyle guys will still get their time

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    The goal is to get more people actually interested in spending some time in the club listening to music that doesn't make them want to strangle a small animal.
    Two words - female visitors.
    PM Sent...