Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dt40 Problems

Default Dt40 Problems

I have a new pair of dt40s that will not scan. when I power them up the mirrors both center and both leds on the driver board light, but when I send a signal to them the led on the x side goes out and nothing happens. if I disconnect the galvos and send a signal the boards stay lit. If i disconnect the Y galvo and power it up the x will scan. If i try it the other way around the y will not scan. Any suggestions ? is the amp defective ?

I have checked all my connections verified my power 24vdc and the psu I am using is rated for 1 amp. I tried another psu rated at 24vdc 5 amps with the same results.
    I sent a message to Jian so I am waiting to see what he says.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by coil1002 View Post
    I have a new pair of dt40s that will not scan. when I power them up the mirrors both center and both leds on the driver board light, but when I send a signal to them the led on the x side goes out and nothing happens. if I disconnect the galvos and send a signal the boards stay lit. If i disconnect the Y galvo and power it up the x will scan. If i try it the other way around the y will not scan. Any suggestions ? is the amp defective ?

I have checked all my connections verified my power 24vdc and the psu I am using is rated for 1 amp. I tried another psu rated at 24vdc 5 amps with the same results.
    I sent a message to Jian so I am waiting to see what he says.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    I have a new DT40 set but haven't powered them up yet. You mentioned your 24vdc PSU. Is it a bi-polar power supply (plus & minus 24vdc)? It should be.

DAMN IT !!! I did not even think to look at that. I checked the voltage on my PSU and the -24vdc was in fact giving me -2.5 vdc after changing the power supply they work great. Thank you for pointing out the glaringly obvious to me.

DAMN IT !!! I did not even think to look at that. I checked the voltage on my PSU and the -24vdc was in fact giving me -2.5 vdc after changing the power supply they work great. Thank you for pointing out the glaringly obvious to me.
    I'm glad I could help. Mind if I ask what you are using for your two 24vdc PSUs?

well I was using 2 output +/- 24vdc I had in the garage from an old scanner set i no longer have it was an rd-50-h that was the first one with the blown -24. So the only other thing I had was the one from the projector I was replacing the galvos in. It was +/- 18vdc I turned the pot all the way up to get 21 vdc to test with. Needless to say it did not last long. However long enough to see the dt40s worked and rather well I might add. So now I have spent the last hour looking for a 2 output 24vdc psu and, its like they are made of gold I cant find one. So I bought 2 24vdc 1 amp PSU's and will wire them up so I can get +/- 24vdc. They will be in tomorrow. I got them on amazon they are mode l# s-25-24. Hopefully they will last a while at least until I can source a proper PSU.

I jut recently got back into lasers when a friend of mine gave me an old Chinese projector. The galvos where horrid and needed tuning but the pots where not marked. So what else can you do but buy the best galvos you can find and a 3 watt rgb module and completely rebuild it? If i would have known they did not have the PSU included with the Galvos I would have kept looking. Stanwax has a PSU for DT40's I just dont want to wait that long for it but at this point I think its my only option.

So I bought 2 24vdc 1 amp PSU's and will wire them up so I can get +/- 24vdc. .....
    Thanks coil1002. Sounds like you got a good plan. Its a shame you can't buy just the drivers from Jian, the guy that sells the DT40's.

That's the same PS I was planning on using. They are made by Mean Well and can also be purchased from Jameco.com. I'd sure like to know how these s-25-24 supplies work out for you. I've got a couple of the 1.1A and 6A versions I'm thinking of using.

I checked Jameco and could not find that PSU do you have a link? Even if I had just bought the drivers the Galvos themselves where crap on this thing. Im not sure the mirrors would have taken 1800 mw of blue not to mention scan at 40kpps.

I checked Jameco and could not find that PSU do you have a link? Even if I had just bought the drivers the Galvos themselves where crap on this thing. Im not sure the mirrors would have taken 1800 mw of blue not to mention scan at 40kpps.
    How about this? https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/st...oductId=323311

that's the one nice and small good for twinning. We shall see how it goes mine are being delivered tomorrow.

so the dt40's did not come with the power supply (last time i got a set they did)