Thread: Basic Projector Design 101 - recommendations?

Question Basic Projector Design 101 - recommendations?

OK, so I (think!) have a basic idea of what I want to incorporate in my first laser projector project. I'm leaning towards the use of two lasers (250-500mW, red & green), X-Y scanner set, and a (selectable) motorized beam effects wheel, with beam blockers (solenoids) in front of the lasers. So, to start the the Basic 101 type questions -

* Would anyone be willing to provide a basic diagram - sketch, PowerPoint, Visio, whatever - of the basic beam routing and optics elements required?

* Baseplate material - I'm assuming most folks use tapped aluminum plate for their breadboard / projector base plates. What is the recommended thickness, and do you generally paint the exposed areas to reduce inadvertent beam reflections, or leave it in its natural finish?

* Heatsinks - Is mounting the laserhead and power supply directly to the baseplate (with thermal paste) sufficient, or are some sort of additional heatsinks recommended?

* Power supplies - I'm not against doing a little electronics soldering, so could anyone recommend schematics, kits or completed suitable regulated power supplies(110VAC). I'll probably need a 12VDC, and a VARIABLE 5VDC (to manually adjust laser analog modulation during testing and setup)

Thanks in advance!

RR
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

* Baseplate material - I'm assuming most folks use tapped aluminum plate for their breadboard / projector base plates. What is the recommended thickness, and do you generally paint the exposed areas to reduce inadvertent beam reflections, or leave it in its natural finish?

Thickness means weight. Aluminum is light but not as light as you think.
    I normally use 1/3 or 1/2 inch plates. Painting hmmm not really needed just
    leave it as it is.

* Heatsinks - Is mounting the laserhead and power supply directly to the baseplate (with thermal paste) sufficient, or are some sort of additional heatsinks recommended?

Mounting to the plate is sufficient but only without the case. With case you will need about 2-3 fans to cool it down.

* Power supplies - I'm not against doing a little electronics soldering, so could anyone recommend schematics, kits or completed suitable regulated power supplies(110VAC). I'll probably need a 12VDC, and a VARIABLE 5VDC (to manually adjust laser analog modulation during testing and setup)

Power supplies that come with lasers are in no need for any other power stabilizers or supplies....to test analog modulation you need a pair AA for diod based 635nm or 660nm and 1 AA for rest of lasers.

* Would anyone be willing to provide a basic diagram - sketch, PowerPoint, Visio, whatever - of the basic beam routing

The green laser can be mounted length ways to save you from the mirror but you will loose ability to adjust the green beam
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 07-08-2007 at 00:40.

Default RGB pinout (ILDA)

I made this pinout. Hope it is helpfull

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Awesome info - thanks!
    I believe I'm well on my way to getting a grasp of the subject!

For those of you that have used gratings or lumia(?) effects discs - are they generally included after the scanner output, or a whole separate beam path?

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    For those of you that have used gratings or lumia(?) effects discs - are they generally included after the scanner output, or a whole separate beam path?
    Randy
    Hi Randy, they can be used either way. Using them "stand-alone" with just a beam is best when they are mounted to a motor, in particular, a hankscraft motor works best and its very simple implement. You can find hankcraft motors on ebay, you can do a search by seller for screenmaster2. He usually has some up for sale and is a very reliable seller. The other way is scan through effects, which makes a very nice addition to a scan head. Here is an example:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cap0040.JPG  

Last edited by DZ; 07-08-2007 at 08:04. Reason: resized attachment

The information you guys are providing is great - I'm definitely anxious to get started (in 2 or 3 months, after I get home - LOTS of "planning" time!!)

Another question, for those of you who have used beam effects from your projector, shot SAFELY over your viewing audience -

If you're using your projector primarily for graphics on a screen, would it be best to redirect the beams using a bounce mirror on the screen, or using a bounce mirror inside the projector with a separate output window?

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....