Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spectra Physics 171 White Light Replacement Tube

Dale said he can't do 171 because of power supply and cooling requirements at his home.

As Steve mentioned, I do have a clean copy of the manual that I would happily scan, if if would help. Just let me know.

Hope you can resurrect your 171. They are beautiful pieces of equipment.

I appreciate the tips Jon. It looks like the entire system was run without a filter at one time, since there is some little chunks of something where the glass tapers into the water jacket.(not much though). There is about 5 warehouses all together where I work. The only one that is used for storage actually has the big power, so I set up a little laser "testing station" there and nobody cares . I had doubt about putting the jb weld on the glass, since a.) It's hard to remove and b.) it's always better to make the repair with the correct part if you can. Last week I picked up a big water filter/housing from mcmaster to drop in line before any more troubleshooting happens. I'm honestly thinking that the flowlight wasn't going out because of the leak, not getting up to 90 psi.

Also, I was able to find a complete copy of the manual PS and head. It was on my phone in PDF, I forgot someone sent it to me awhile back from SP. printed that whole sucker up and three ring bindered it.

i have a dead tube as well.. working psu too.. i didnt end up having the power requirements in my house and didnt want to pay for 63a 3phase upgrade from 32amp
    Willing to sell parts if needed. You will have a ton of difficulty finding a tube.. especially at a reasonable price.

I got a quote of $15,000 for a replacement tube, ouch. I'm gonna remain positive about waking this head up from its long slumber. Setting aside 2-4 hours next week to tie in filter canister, check for any water leaks/interlock issues and heat the tube up slowly. Confidence is high. However, if things don't work out I will probably be looking for a new head/tube. Whitelight preferably, but an argon head could work too.

Assuming the glass envelope is intact and the tube just needs to be re-pumped, you may want to discuss this with CountFunkula. He's building a re-pumping station. He's got all the basics up and running as of about a month ago. He's also a huge fan of the spectra-physics line, although most of his heads are the medium frame 164/165/168 series. Nonetheless, I'm sure he could help you out, and he'll be a *lot* more affordable than Evergreen.

Adam

Well...hooked up the water to the tube again today and it's still leaking, now at the other end even more. Guess I'm gonna remove the water jacket and install some of those OEM O-rings that Jon mentioned. How many do I need Jon and how much will you sell them to me for$$?. I'm assuming the jacket comes off in sections from the rear end of the tube, once all the set screws are taken out, and the rear optics and electrodes, and probably a few other things... Any tips on this procedure would be great, since I'm thinking it's not covered in the manual. Found a manufacturing data/service sheet under the tube, in the head. It says it's a model 0074-0150 (model 171-18) (code 171-05). Last service was on 7-1-06 at 882 hours. Here's a photo of my "bad idea" jb weld job.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7675.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	52838
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7674.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	52839

Given the weight of the tube assembly - this is NOT a one man job.
    You may end up with with a broken brewster stem if not careful even with 3 pairs of hands here.
    Also You need a lot of room to remove the glass from the magnet safely.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spectra-Physi...kAAOSwaMhZyTbm

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Spectra-Physi...MAAOSwQiBZyS-R

Might be worth investigating if you can get to PA to have a look, or have someone check them out for you...

If only the tube could be removed in zero gravity.