Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spectra Physics 171 White Light Replacement Tube

PA is a 12 hour drive one way from where I'm at. I do, however have an amazing custom wooden crate for a 171 head that I could send up to PA "if" the tube "checked out". No leaks, gas intact, operated within the past year... or two. The 270 power supply I have now was socked in a roadcase and well cared for and protected (so I'm feeling pretty good about it's current status). Isn't a 171-01 a krypton head though?

Quote Originally Posted by MrNIFty923 View Post
    PA is a 12 hour drive one way from where I'm at. I do, however have an amazing custom wooden crate for a 171 head that I could send up to PA "if" the tube "checked out". No leaks, gas intact, operated within the past year... or two. The 270 power supply I have now was socked in a roadcase and well cared for and protected (so I'm feeling pretty good about it's current status). Isn't a 171-01 a krypton head though?
    Figured it doesn't hurt to know about anyway!

Not sure on the exact model numbers, could be a Krypton head! Someone else will know for sure.

171-01 is a krypton.

MrNifty, I just ran across this thread. Did you ever revive your 171Kr?

I have maybe 6 working 270's, 2 171 ArKr heads that were working when last tested 6-7 years ago, a couple of argon 171 heads, 1 or 2 ArKr tubes that were low power, at least one 171 magnet, and LOTS of parts: Proteus flow switches, optics, passbank transistors, and several 171/270 carcasses. Also several 165/168 heads, 265 psu's, two Innova 100's (Ar & Kr), and a small-frame Coherent ArKr.

I have one Lasermedia LM22 projector custom made for a single 171, one LM14/16 projector made for two 171's, two LM6 projectors made for the Melles-Griot micro-YAGs, an old LMS10 projector, two Precision Projections dual-head projectors, 5-6 NEOS PCAOM's and drivers, a few Lighting Systems Design's scan drive amps, water hose, Teel pumps, filters, six 45KVA 208/480 transformers, feeder cable, Cam-Locks, & mirrors.

I haven't worked on ion lasers since changing over to Spectrum 20's , but I have changed a couple of dozen large-frame tubes and repaired many SP 270's & 265's, if you want me to take a look at your 171. Looking at your wad of JB Weld, I can't tell if it's the tube or the magnet that's leaking. I will admit to using JB Weld once and even epoxy and Kevlar to repair a leaking water jacket. The latter caused a flood in the ballroom of the Westin Peachtree Plaza. Due to the differences in thermal expansion, these patches are temporary at best.

At some point I need to inventory everything and clean out my shop. I've contacted the two parks I know of that may still use ion lasers. I couldn't even get a return call from the one 8 miles away. When I get an inventory I'll list it in the for sale section.

Jim

I have a dead tube. Would part with the magnet.
    I dont have the power requirements in house to run my 171 nor was the tube when I got it in tact. Let me know if your psu is working etc

Thumbs up Look over there!

Quote Originally Posted by PTLaser View Post
    MrNifty, I just ran across this thread. Did you ever revive your 171Kr?
    Holy Crap! It's Jim Martin from Peachtree Laser! How've you been, Jim?

I remember those Spectrum 20's when we hauled them to Jim Spence Island in the middle of Lake Murray a few years back. Heavy beasts, but they sure did throw out a lot of light! Shame we never got that gig again though.

MrNIFty23: I know this is an old thread, but if you ever get the chance to meet up with Jim, take it! He's a very cool dude who's been doing this sort of thing for a long time now. You'll no doubt learn a bunch from him, but he's also fun to hang out with. Highly recommended:

Adam