Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flood lights

Default Flood lights

Anybody knows how those lamps, which do this massive flood, called properly.

Not surprisingly , Blinders !

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Cool

Blinders indeed! Damn - that's bright!

Adam

Thanks for info I found a tons of them....and because of just one word. "Blinders" ....who would've thought.

blinder "flood lights" on a Google search doesn't come up with anything definitive. I found old, new, even DIY, no actual trade name or anything. So I guess any really bright lamp technology could do it.

My guess is they want shortwave-biased broadband for strong dazzle and scatter in fog. LED's are used in newer ones, probably the same as in newer LED torches: Crees and Luxeon K2 stars and such. Also, small metal halides. Possibly even short arc tubes like used for CW laser pumping, xenon or krypton lamps with UV filters. There's also a 'white sodium' lamp with light like metal halide but warmer, not quite sure what those look like though, only discovered they exist very recently, but they'd be a good candidate for a broadband flood.

They often go under the name of Molefay These are basically a bank of PAR36 aircraft landing lamps. Either 250 or 650 watts per lamp. Often the rows of lamps are individually wired to allow additional effects.

HERE is one which I have used before and is very good for the money. Usually, the fixture is quite cheap, it is the lamps which cost the money.

However these pale into insignificance compared to the QUAZAR strobe (guess where my name came from?). This is a 15,000 watt strobe, no that isnt a typo. It also has the capability of continuous output, this is achieved by flashing at 100Hz, giving the appearance of constant light. 15 KW of pure Xenon light has to be seen to be believed.

Hi Quazar

I've not heard them called Molefays for a looooong time ! ( I'm an old roadie !!)

Most manufacturers who copied the Molefay design, refer to them as audience blinders, mainly to avoid trade mark infringement, and its an easier name to market.

The original 650watt par36 are what people are used to seeing at the big shows. LED versions are now taking over , as doctor pointed out.

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Hi Quazar

I've not heard them called Molefays for a looooong time ! ( I'm an old roadie !!)

Fluff
    Best we old timers stick together.

I agree about the LED versions, however they are extremely expensive.
    I have also come across a few using 250W halogen lamps, obviously much cheaper, but less robust.

Q.

You'll save in the long run with leds, no lamps to change , less juice to provide ! Zero maintainance.

I sell led versions, if anyone wants one

Quasar I think is/was a Hungaroflash 15000W unit ?

What about the T-Light ? 85000 Watt of optical hell

Now thats a strobe !!

Fluff
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Looked at the T-light, but cost silly money. Could have bought 8 Quazars for the same ammount of cash.

If you really want to talk silly strobes. how about the 500KW Lightning Strike.!!

From the spec sheet-

Weight - 53 lbs
    Light output - 500,000 watts
    Colour temp - 5600K
    Mains rating - 400 Amps (minimum)
    Current (momentary) - 2100 Amps

Now thats a strobe!!!