Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: US Laser Peeps... SELEM vets and others...

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default US Laser Peeps... SELEM vets and others...

I have probably spent the last four or five years trying to find a chance to get to a UKLEM and finally a few weeks ago bit the bullet and, since they were kind enough to schedule the meet based on my availability, I committed and bought the plane ticket and paid Jim the registration fee. For those that don't pay attention to their threads, the UKLEM is their version of SELEM and they're fortunate enough to get to do it twice a year and, not unlike SELEM, it has grown from just a day or two to now a full four day event and so, more worth the flight. I figured it was an off year for CarribLEM and, it's right in the middle of a full year between SELEM's to help get "the fix".
    Naturally I have started to pester a few people into the idea of going too since I know there are a number of people that have thought it would be cool to do "someday". Well... as my old band director used to say, Life is memories and, without memories... there is no life. As load-in this year proved, we're not getting younger. There will always be a valid reason to talk yourself out of it and probably say, well... I have this to do, or that to do. Or... I can go next year. Will you?? Really?? One of the things that shocked me was when I really started to look at it, I paid less for the flight than I did to go to London 27 years ago. Or even a couple trips there before that. The accommodations are no more than The Holiday Inn Express or Trott House for a few nights. For me personally, it's even cheaper than going to SELEM.
    So I'm urging others to actually give it some serious consideration. Explore Google Flights and check some prices. Do it soon before fuel prices increase. I think it would be incredible to actually have a group of us make the trip. The guys on the other side of the pond have some pretty amazing things they do and work on and, I expect to see an awful lot of things we just simply don't see here. I think there are a number of differences in the ways we enjoy lasers and, I'm looking forward to show some examples of what we do and in turn, learn more about what they do. Heck, they even had a full scale pro fireworks display to celebrate their 10th year of LEM's a couple weeks ago.
    Not to mention the fact that I expect to have my sides hurting from laughing for days afterwards since there seems to be an incredible sense of humor with these guys. I can only imagine what it would be like if the likes of buffo, DZ, Hank, Salty, David K, Swami, Imagelight, platinum, flecom, laserjock,... etc., etc, (I shouldn't name names, lest I miss people) were to actually throw caution to the wind... not unlike your first SELEM... and decide, "What the hell... I'm doing it damnit!" The other benefit is... we might then get a group of them to decided to come to SELEM someday as well. How frickin' cool would THAT be!
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...-April-2018-UK
    Let the official persuading begin!
    These guys await!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uklemphoto.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	52791
    PM Sent...

Brad -- I didn't know U-Haul chartered airplanes!

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Brad -- I didn't know U-Haul chartered airplanes!

Not sure I know how to travel light!
    PM Sent...

That's why he's trying to convince people now, it's all going by intermodal shipping container and may take a month to get there.

Geeze, Aaron.... don't give him any ideas!!!

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    That's why he's trying to convince people now, it's all going by intermodal shipping container and may take a month to get there.
    AH HA!!!! YOU know about that stuff. Therefore... that is an *excellent* reason you should be a coordinator of the effort of getting DZ and a Z-5 there or, Ethan and his video walls. Hank and his singing tesla coil - they're popular over there. Chris's RC gear.
    X-Laser goodies. The list goes on....
    PM Sent...

Swamidog and I are planning on going to LDI in Las Vegas this year. Swami is my 'laser wife', although I think he's cheating on me with SaltyRobot . . but I digress . .

UKLEM would be awesome, but after SELEM, FLEM, DiscoLEM and LDI, I'm probably tapped out for the year for laser-related travel. The wife's never been to England, I don't think although she's done Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland, so perhaps if it times well with Lil dk's school holidays, we'd be able to make it next year.

Be sure to pack plenty of water and a composting toilet in your cargo container, Brad!

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

It was a very clever move to put it a few days before Prolight and Sound Frankfurt

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

of course i am.. his abstracts are dead sexy.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Swamidog and I are planning on going to LDI in Las Vegas this year. Swami is my 'laser wife', although I think he's cheating on me with SaltyRobot . . but I digress . .
    -David
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Wait... laser related travel for DiscoLEM?? You walk up the friggin' steps!!
    Humm.... so lets think about this. In the subsequent year you're still going to go to SELEM. You're still going to go to FLEM. You're still going to host a DiscoLEM. So... it appears LDI is the real issue here. You're doing that in 2017! UKLEM is April 2018... that's a different laser related calendar/fiscal year. Jus' sayin'
    PM Sent...