Thread: Disregard - removed

Default Disregard - removed

removed............
    Last edited by Laser57; 09-05-2017 at 12:06.

Smile

I would prefer that we do not add a separate section for laser pointers.

First, there are already several other forums that have laser pointers as either their primary focus (ex: Laserpointerforums.com) or as a significant portion of their overall content (ex: candlepowerforums.com), so I don't see a need to add yet another site that has discussions about pointers.

Second, I think I can speak for many people on this site when I say that laser pointers are not really that interesting, so adding a pointer forum here would only dilute the forum and increase the signal-to-noise ratio for many of our members.

Yes, I have a few laser pointers myself (as I'm sure most laserists do), but I rarely if ever use them. More to the point though: pointers are not why I come to PL, and I think that goes for others as well.

I come here because PL is the absolute best source of information about lasers, laser projectors, laser show software, and gatherings of fellow laserists. No other website even comes close to PL in that regard. Sure, there is an occasional post about pointers, but it never rises to the level where a new sub-forum would be needed. I feel that as long as PL stays true to it's roots it will always be someplace special on the web.

There's no reason for PL to try to compete with the likes of LPF or CPF. Those sites already do a great job of serving the interests of the people registered there. Try to be the best at everything and you will certainly fail.

Adam

I tried to remove this thread, but the BBS software would only let me edit. For myself, I can agree most laser pointers are not that interesting, but the ones I am interested in building aren't so boring. LPF is a good forum, but this one requires email verification to join, over there trolls are taking over. If you are concerned that could happen here too, I fully understand.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.

I tend to add boards or subdivide existing ones when there's a non trivial amount of traffic/interest in the topics. As Buffo stated - pointers don't get that much traction here as there are other communities out there already setup for that. But if you want to run a couple threads about your stuff/what you are working on, by all means feel free to do so and if the general topic takes off, then I would have no issues setting up a new board, but it seems like a fools errand to setup a new blank board for the purpose of seeing if the "build it and they will come" thing really happens.

I'm all for the scientific aspects behind lasers, I find them fascinating. If you are planning on doing some things that are pretty novel or at least go into detail, please do. I just really don't want to see "lol I duct-taped a teh wikkidlazors to my kitty and put him outside for ADVENTURE!" stuff.

That being said. I'm off to the store to buy a wikkidlazor, a cat, an irresponsible amount of duct tape, and booze. Strictly for research purposes.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    That being said. I'm off to the store to buy a wikkidlazor, a cat, an irresponsible amount of duct tape, and booze. Strictly for research purposes.
    you really know how to party!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

This has become a dead issue to me with member responses, besides, pointer threads attract too many knuckle head trolls.

I'm interested in the correction optics but not the application. If this forum goes pointer I go to that other one that got start a year or so ago. The posts are getting mighty thin these days. Still not giving up here for now. Hoping this is just a bump in the road. Until yellow diodes come i think it's going to be quiet with all the cheap Chinese projectors.

I'd like to see more about the art and making shows than the hardware since the hardware is largely sorted these days.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I'm interested in the correction optics but not the application. If this forum goes pointer I go to that other one that got start a year or so ago. The posts are getting mighty thin these days. Still not giving up here for now. Hoping this is just a bump in the road. Until yellow diodes come i think it's going to be quiet with all the cheap Chinese projectors.

I'd like to see more about the art and making shows than the hardware since the hardware is largely sorted these days.

I miss the days of frequently PJ build threads and all that sort of thing. Lots more activity back then.

... on the other hand - I don't get that much feedback on my "tinkering" threads either ;-/

Viktor

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    I tend to add boards or subdivide existing ones when there's a non trivial amount of traffic/interest in the topics. ...... it seems like a fools errand to setup a new blank board for the purpose of seeing if the "build it and they will come" thing really happens.
    This apparently wasn't the case when the holography section was added. The Holographyforum that had problems which stimulated the creation of it returned shortly afterward, and is running fine but with less traffic now that Facebook pages are there too. There has been way more interest shown here for discussing hand held lasers than for holography. Waaaaaay more. And it might actually be productive to have those discussions where the average age is much higher than 18, and verification (as mentioned) is required to join. Those who don't like "lasers on sticks" don't have to read it. Just sayin'.