Thread: LED panel controller questions

Default LED panel controller questions

I'm interested in making a couple of LED panels using some RGB strips but I need some info on the controller end before I proceed. The first screen I would like to make is 2 square meters using 60 LEDs/meter = 14,400 LEDs. Additional screens would surely follow. It's clear I will need multiple controllers even for just the first screen. I think I've narrowed down my choices to Heroics PixelPusher and the Chinese made T300K controller. The T300K is slightly cheaper per pixel but I have concerns about how easily multiple controllers and be combined for a single screen (or the addition of multiple screens in the future) but it seems to be a fairly simple and straightforward method on its own. The PixelPusher on the other hand is slightly more expensive per pixel and requires some work on the software end but seems to have all the functionality and expandability that I would be looking for. Can anyone offer any insight to these two options and help ease my decision? Thanks in advance.

Luke
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

Never used pixel pusher. I have used the T300. Its about worthless. The documentation is horrible as well as the software needed to program it. Maybe the T300K is better?

I have used several of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMX-512-Art-...-/221181172896

They are rock solid. However, the most I have used at once was 2 for 12 universes. You are looking at over 80 universes.

I think with that many universes you may need something more advanced. WS2812 strip might not be the right product. Especially if you want to do video.
    Last edited by logsquared; 09-17-2017 at 15:35. Reason: wrong link

Thanks for the input. I don't know anything about artnet but maybe that's something I should look into as well. I've been looking more into the PixelPusher and I think that's the way I'm going to go. I'm mostly interested in doing abstract audio visualizations rather than video per se. Certainly I would prefer a more advanced system over the ws28xx strips but considering I can get a 2m/sq functional and portable LED screen for around $1000 I think it's worth the experimentation. Thanks again.
    LASERS!!

1x Homemade 500mW 405nm Projector
    1x Homemade 1.2W RGB Projector
    1x Lightspace Color Ray Series 6W RGB
    2x Lightspace Venus 2W RGB

ZPL Lighting www.zpllighting.com

I have a friend that has built a few of the LED based road side signs, je end up using the smaller LED panels, these are managed via IP the controll cards have in this way you can get a higher pixel density for the dollar. For the visuals are you using some thing like madrix or AR KAOS ?

I haven't narrowed down the software yet. Right now I'm playing around with VSXu Artiste but Madrix, Arkaos, after effects, and resolume are all potential candidates. The truth is I don't know the pros and cons of each program, or even what each is designed for. Right now I'm mostly focused on the panels themselves and what they are capable of displaying. What is your friends source for panels or what does he charge to build some. What are the specs of the panels?

Late to the thread, but if you plan to go solid pixel panels I have some experience with that.

You could check our LED Strip Studio - www.ledstripstudio.com. Controllers for up to 4000 LEDs from one board.