Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homebrew HV & other 'junk'

It puts out about 5 mW. It put out 20 mW once but such is life...

My hene puts out 7 mw. I need to get a power supply for it and get it back up and running. Its kinda neat even tho lo power.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    My hene puts out 7 mw. I need to get a power supply for it and get it back up and running. Its kinda neat even tho lo power.
    But is it blue? That's about the only thing that can be claimed for mine. I was asked to put it together in a week at lowest possible cost, using whatever could be found. Most of the crucial parts came from one source, but not all. Was one of the ten most busy weeks of my life, probably. It actually did shows, I controlled a Lissajous device at one of them. I was given the laser in the end, when the guy I built it for needed to move and find places to put stuff.

No its 632.8. I do have an argon that does blue 488nm 500:1 pol 30 mw though. Built from scratch (except the tube) Puts out about a KW of heat (good room warmer in the winter)

I finally found my most useless device...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iUASNmjcgo

LOL! That is so redneck! I was just waiting for the idiot to get shocked! Did you see the lamp hanging on the chair?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Cool

Laser Ben;

Um... You might want to re-phrase that... I think the "idiot" you refer to in the video is actually Steve-o, the guy who posted it. And I don't really think he qualifies as an idiot. The light on the chair is probably positioned so that the video camera had enough light to shoot in the otherwise dark room. (Without sufficient ambient light the auto-iris on the camera would close down too far once the arc was lit and you'd never see anything else in the picture.)

Personally I think a home-made arc lamp is a cool project. Somewhere between a souped-up-flashlight and a Jacob's ladder on the coolness scale. And I'm sure the end of that rod he was touching was either insulated or at ground potential... Either way, give the guy some credit man...

Though I gotta admit that the narrator (I assume it's you, Steve-o?) sounds like he just woke up... Maybe it was after toddy time following a really long day.?.

Hey Steve-o! How about you bring that sucker to SELEM, dude!?!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-10-2007 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Personally I think a home-made arc lamp is a cool project. Somewhere between a souped-up-flashlight and a Jacob's ladder on the coolness scale.
    Hell no, I think a home made arc lamp scores above a Jacob's Ladder. I made a Jacob's Ladder and it was disappointing. It worked, but once that was done what else was there? Arc lamps are cool. And for redneck, can there be much more rustic than that horrible argon I built? I thought it looked like the locomotive of a 125 train at the time. The friend I built it for thought it looked like a rabbit hutch. It didn't take me long to see it his way.

Cool

Doc;

A rabbit hutch! Damn, you're absolutely right - that's exactly what it looks like! hehe! What the hell though; it got the job done, didn't it? I've put together some ghetto-looking projects in my time as well. All part of the learning curve, right?

Re: Jacob's Ladder - eh, I guess I've always wanted one, which is why it's so high on the list for me. But you have a good point: Once you build it there's not much else you can do with it. But they sure look cool.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Re: Jacob's Ladder - eh, I guess I've always wanted one, which is why it's so high on the list for me. But you have a good point: Once you build it there's not much else you can do with it. But they sure look cool.

Adam
    This is true, they do. Mine was poxy though, couple of bed springs on a bit of old doorframe holding tight some 2.5 mm² copper wire. The wood ended up burning... So there is one thing we can always do: build bigger, and better. And pretend to be Tesla.