Thread: CNI 473nm 100mw Holography use ?

Default CNI 473nm 100mw Holography use ?

Hi Guys

Any of you people into holography ( Jem ! ) , do you know if the CNI's I have would be suitable for holography ?

I have an ebay customer asking me the question.

I don't now the coherence length.

This is the same type of diode Stanwax had at the UK meet.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Hi Mark

I would say almost definately not suitable.

To successfully do holography you need a single mode laser or at the least something very stable. Most diode/DPSS lasers are not single mode as it can be expensive to provide the necessary thermal control - lot's of TEC's/electronics etc.

Did you see my Coherent C315m that I borought to the meeting, it was shining away merrily on the back shelf! That is a beautiful example of a single mode holography laser and there's a reason they are so expensive - stability comes at a price!

You could always set up a basic interferometer to test the stability of the CNI units, but I think it would probably be safer just to say they're not suitable.

Cheers

Jem

P.S. Before anyone picks me up and says the C315m is not strictly single mode - Yes, I know that there is another line a few nm away, but its presence is not relevant.
    Last edited by Jem; 08-13-2007 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi Mark

I would say almost definately not suitable.

To successfully do holography you need a single mode laser or at the least something very stable. Most diode/DPSS lasers are not single mode as it can be expensive to provide the necessary thermal control - lot's of TEC's/electronics etc.

Did you see my Coherent C315m that I borought to the meeting, it was shining away merrily on the back shelf! That is a beautiful example of a single mode holography laser and there's a reason they are so expensive - stability comes at a price!

You could always set up a basic interferometer to test the stability of the CNI units, but I think it would probably be safer just to say they're not suitable.

Cheers

Jem

P.S. Before anyone picks me up and says the C315m is not strictly single mode - Yes, I know that there is another line a few nm away, but its presence is not relevant.
    Thanks Jem

I've passed on the info. Cost me a sale , but, hey ho, honesty is the best policy !

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    Thanks Jem

I've passed on the info. Cost me a sale , but, hey ho, honesty is the best policy !

Thanks for the advice.

Regards

Fluff
    Can you imagine the hassle though if they bought it and found it didn't work for holography.

Cheers

Jem