Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Goldenstar or Lightspace?

Post Goldenstar or Lightspace?

I know this is an age old debate, but I wish to bring it up again.

I am looking to purchase the best projector for my needs at or under about $1500. I want a projector that can scan at or near 40kpps @ 8 degrees Illda, and the best color mixing and modulation possible for my budget. I plan to use the projector mostly for graphic shows made in Quickshow(maybe later LSX), and care about the quality of the projection during these shows. I would also like to use the projector for fairly complex and fast beam effects. I don't need a massive scan angle, but would like decent color mixing and modulation. I am looking for no less than 2 watts, ideally diode, but it must have analog modulation so I can use it at a lower power(home projection space is small).

I was considering a Goldenstar pro 3000(see it here) with upgraded DT 50's, but have heard that the modulation in Goldenstar projectors falls apart at low levels. Assuming the optics are aligned, it looks like the output should be half decent as all lasers appear to be corrected to the same divergence and diameter, but you never know with Chinese projectors. Even anticipating some flaws, the price of only $1111 with DT 50's is pretty tempting. On the other hand, I have heard many saying Lightspace projectors are really good, and have very low divergence, but generally command a higher price. I am also unsure of the choice of PT scanners in those projectors, or how I would source one cheaply(I am hoping to get something setup within a month). If the diode alignment and output quality is as great as I have heard, these seem pretty great for the price, and may be worth waiting loner for, or paying a little more.

I have some experience with lasers in general, and could probably add basic optics to projectors to correct their output. I have been using an old TTL X-Laser Mk5 for a year now, and want something to take my work to the next level. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Glrock; 11-11-2017 at 10:10.

I think the general consensus is Goldenstar provides cheaper projectors for any particular power and Lightspace provides higher quality, slightly more expensive projectors. Many of us have equipment from both vendors. Low end modulation is usually a challenge for Chinese drivers and many others in my experience. For builds including 532nm greens, you should also expect jelly-beaning/dashes at low levels and slower response as compared with diode modules (520nm, 650nm, 638nm, 450nm, etc) modules.

Regarding galvos, DTs are better than PTs and PTs are better than ALs for any particular speed. PTs and ALs are so cheap that they can considered disposable. (The highest performing galvos come from Scannermax (Pangolin) and CT.)

I'd suggest you reach out to both vendors and be sure to get shipping costs along with your product pricing data as that may vary between vendors.

Have fun with your purchase!

-David

Edit: Also don't forget to consider beam quality - especially as you intend to use the projector primarily for graphics. A tighter lower power beam will look 'brighter' and better overall for either beam shows or graphics. Good overlap between modules is very important for both beams and graphics. (Nobody wants a wide band of red surrounding a smaller green beam when you were trying to get yellow. . .)
    Last edited by dkumpula; 11-11-2017 at 04:23.
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Edit: Also don't forget to consider beam quality - especially as you intend to use the projector primarily for graphics. A tighter lower power beam will look 'brighter' and better overall for either beam shows or graphics. Good overlap between modules is very important for both beams and graphics. (Nobody wants a wide band of red surrounding a smaller green beam when you were trying to get yellow. . .)
    Guess I wasn't specific enough with "Divergence" and color "mixing". Will have to correct that, but thanks for the advice.

I already contacted Goldenstar and will contact Lightspace but what happened to that Pluto laser with the 40k scanners that everyone was raving about? It's not on their website anymore.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    Guess I wasn't specific enough with "Divergence" and color "mixing". Will have to correct that, but thanks for the advice
    Sorry, I just missed that bit, but yes, the quality of the beams is more important than anything else. Unfortunately it is very hard to get accurate divergence and size measurements from most vendors, where as power measurements are usually reasonably accurate and easy to verify with a meter upon arrival.

Oh, and the Pluto was usurped by the Venus series as I recall which had a smaller footprint.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    where as power measurements are usually reasonably accurate and easy to verify with a meter upon arrival.
    If I had one.....

Should I contact the U.S. Branch of Lightspace, or will I get a lower price through China. Also contacted Walter @ Lightspace USA(old contact) for used projectors, but is buying a projector that has been rented out and is not high end in the first place a good idea?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

if you go through Walter @ lightspace usa you will get a projector that's legal to use in the US and he can help you with your variance process. i recommend this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    If I had one.....

Should I contact the U.S. Branch of Lightspace, or will I get a lower price through China. Also contacted Walter @ Lightspace USA(old contact) for used projectors, but is buying a projector that has been rented out and is not high end in the first place a good idea?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

or if you go goldenstar technological artisans can help you out

https://taiserver.com/clubcat-hp-lasers-4w-10w

Ok, so I have now contacted both Goldenstar and Lightspace, but I need someone to steer me one way or the other.

For lightspace, the best option is the Starburst 3000(http://www.eightonlight.cn/article-6-14.html) with pt-a40hp scanners, rated 35k @ 8 degrees, 1.0mrad divergence, and a 4mm output.

The going price is about 1800.

The other option is the one mentioned in the initial post and linked above. With dt-50 scanners(45kpps @ 8 degrees), this projector has nicer scanners, but it also has 1.2mrad divergence, with all beams corrected to 4.2mm. It has 3 watts of fairly even power. The modules may be laser wave(might ask)

The price is about 1100.

To me, it seems like the second option seems much better, but I am concerned about the higher divergence affecting detailed graphics, but would the better scanners in the Goldenstar laser negate that flaw? What should I do?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

No, the scanners are not going to affect/correct divergence. Personally, I would go with the Lightspace but, that's also because I have the most familiarity with them. You DO have the issue about having a legal projector if you're planning to use this for any type of public display which means Walt for Lightspace or VJ Aiwaz for Goldenstar. Yes, you can attempt to buy them directly from China however... keep in mind you are opening yourself up to potential legal problems and, more importantly, how are you going to feel if your $1800 gets confiscated by customs and you have no recourse. You now have no projector, no money, and are now a "known" individual to the FDA and US Customs. In light of what's been happening more frequently with the FDA and customs, it is something to be a legitimate concern.
    PM Sent...

Yeah, might be better to do that. Also, when I was talking about scanners and divergence, I meant that the better scanners may lead to similar overall image quality when compared to a slower projector with better combination.

You say you have experience with Lightspace products? How is the output?