Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Bay Area Enthusiasts

Default Looking for Bay Area Enthusiasts

Hello Everyone.

I have recently been considering purchasing a new projector with 40k scanners(see thread here), but have been realizing that I am unsure if the jump in speed will truly impress me. I know many may say that the difference between 25k and 40k will be astounding, but I am the kind of person that needs to see it to believe it, especially prior to spending 2k on a new projector. Is there anyone nearby with a fast projector?

-Thank you

I am in Santa Cruz. I have some "40k" scanners you could check out. Its in quotes because most scanners that are advertised as 40k scanners are just overdriven 30k scanners, at least thats what the old timers say. I have a Pluto II and currently have my scanners tuned to 30k.

I am in the process of moving and have no time for laser hang outs, but it will all be over soon. If you can wait, I should be free in the second half of December. I have some time off around the holidays that would be perfect for playing with lasers.

There are some other laserists in the greater bay area, lets see if they pop in and say hi

-Sal

That sounds great, was considering Lightspace. I can wait till then, and would love to see that Pluto projector. Interesting that true 40k scanners are rare, at least according to old wisdom . I wasn't really aware of this, but do recall hearing it now that you mention it. Also, what software do you use?

Also hope other pop in. Would be interesting to see a variety of projectors and speak with many. I still have some complex questions about the workings of projectors that would be best answered in person.
    Last edited by Glrock; 11-14-2017 at 17:03.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

ABSOLUTELY get together with Sal! Well worth your time. And ask him if you should be saving up to come to SELEM.
    PM Sent...

Also, what software do you use?
    I use LSX and Maxwell. I also have some hardware to make abstracts.

-Sal

Wow, some of the abstracts created with Maxwell are just hypnotizing! Can't wait to see in person. Also, do you have knowledge on variences? My other thread is gone stagnant.

I have a laser show variance and I know a bit about what goes into the process. It may have gone stagnant because people can get paid a decent amount for 'helping' you file yours

Have you considered X-Laser? If you are planning on using your projector in public/ for commerce, then you may be better off spending a little more money and making sure everything is legal. Their EZ Variance kit really is EEEZEE! Not to mention that the folks over at X-Laser are just downright great human beings, always willing to help.

-Sal

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by Glrock View Post
    Also, do you have knowledge on variences? My other thread is gone stagnant.
    Some of us have jobs and responsibilities and such. So... we can't always monitor every question within a few minutes of it being posted. Also.... think about what your thread is titled - Goldenstar or Lightspace? How would someone know by reading that thread title, that you were looking for variance help?
    I know, I know... you're young and impatient but, you've been given several answers by busy people who are certainly willing to help when we have time. It's been years since I've had to look at a variance application so, it's not all fresh on my mind each time you have a question. It has to be researched.
    PM Sent...

Wasn't trying to target you. Just figured you were done with the topic, which is totally acceptable for people who have jobs, and no incentive or need to spit out information 24/7. Anyways, thanks for everything everyone has contributed so far.

In response to the Disco, I can't use an x laser variance as the ez variance kit is only for users older than 18. I actually already have and old times x-laser which is currently frustrating me with beam alignment.

Interesting. How old are you if you don't mind my asking? Have you contacted (called) X-Laser directly to talk about the age limitation? Is it a limitation on their end or on the Gooberment? I don't remember seeing anything in the regs about age, but then again it wouldn't have applied to me so I probably wouldn't have remembered it.

Ask X-Laser if the EZ variance holders are allowed to train additional operators under the terms of the variance. You might also want to take a look into the regs yourself see if you can find anything about age restricts on operators.

-Sal