Thread: Old Holography In The Vintage Laser Archive

Default Old Holography In The Vintage Laser Archive

I finally got around to putting pics of the holograms gathered over the last 35 years onto my site for the old lasers, and thought some here might like to check-'em out. A bunch still need more information to be added, and some of the info I have may be incorrect, so it's a work in progress. Mostly, it's a place to store the pics and info in case something happens here locally. There are also pics of my homemade holograms, and the pre-laser pointers I've found. The link's below.

https://sites.google.com/site/vintagelaserarchive/

Thanks for sharing. This is an incredible addition that covers another side of your huge work for saving the history of lasers and their applications.

I attended the 11th International Symposium on Display Holography in Aveiro, Portugal last week, and presented a paper about the holograms in my laser collection. It is attached below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA A.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	861.4 KB 
ID:	54289Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA B.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	972.9 KB 
ID:	54290Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA C.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	54291Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA D.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	54292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA E.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	54293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA F.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	54294Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA G.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	54295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA H.jpg 
Size:	994.2 KB 
ID:	54296Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA I.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	54297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA J.jpg 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	54298Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA K.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	914.7 KB 
ID:	54299Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA L.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	972.0 KB 
ID:	54300Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Holography In VLA M.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	979.3 KB 
ID:	54301
    Last edited by Eidetic; 07-08-2018 at 08:20.

I have seen the "Lovely Rita" hologram in person, and it's very cool. (Although also rather frustrating, as all the good parts are forever hidden!) Never knew there was a "Skateboard Rita" version though...

Awesome that you're preserving all this stuff!

Adam

I never knew about "Skateboard Rita" before finding it. While driving up to San Francisco for this year's Holography Working Group meeting at Photonics West, I stopped in Lancaster, CA to look through the remains of Jerry Fox's White Light Works. Jerry was a seller and broker of custom holography and gallery owner in LA since the late '70s. He had a massive collection. While rummaging, I found the disk and when I saw the image, bought it immediately.

At the meeting, I saw Craig Newswanger and asked if he made other disks of women other than "Lovely Rita" and told him I found one. He said "You mean 'Cleavage'?", and smiled. I thought "Skateboard Rita" might be better in print, and he agreed.

Any idea how many of each might have been made? Just curious as to how rare they might be...

Adam

PS: We should try to get someone with a high-def camera to shoot a close-up video of some of these! (Wish you could bring them to SELEM one year...)

"Lovely Rita" was originally made on glass plates and sold with a rotating base modified with a lamp. Then they went on film mounted to black acrylic. Can't be more than a few hundred sold. They built a copying system I worked with and a Hope film processor to make a full color version, but it never went into use. The samples I have were cut from a test roll. I've heard more from those test rolls still exist in storage.

This copy of "Skateboard Rita" is the only one seen or known about. Craig was surprised when I mentioned it. I'll be talking with him soon and might get more info about it.

Holograms are like that. Nobody knows how many have survived. Flimsy pieces of film with no apparent image to the unaware finder. ("Skateboard Rita" was like that. The seller had no idea what it was. No light in his house would play the image good enough for him to describe it on the phone. I told him to keep it out of the sun, which is a killer of many holograms.) Glass plates with weird smears of color. Sooo easy to damage the exposed emulsion. "Atomic Space Age" equivalent of the Daguerreotype.

I can make such a video. Just have to find the time to set it up, but It's a good idea. Wish I could bring a truckload of lasers and holograms to SELEM. Maybe next year we can do it.

"Truckload of lasers and holograms to SELEM"... Dude, you're making me drool! Yeah, that would be awesome.

If you do get a chance to video that hologram, please post it here. I'm sure lots of people have never seen it.

Adam