Thread: Seized Scanner Replacement

Default Seized Scanner Replacement

One of our secondary line projectors has had a "no name" 40k scanner seize on power-up after a couple of years, possibly due to a bad cable connector. We would like to match the replacement scanners with other projectors of the same make displaying the same channel of imagery.

After some psychodrama I have tracked down another "no name" 40k scan set (they seem to only come as a kit) with cards that look the same, and have the same number of (10) trim pots. I've done a fair amount of scanner tuning, mainly 6800's and DT 40's and serviced Laser Fantasy analog projectors over the years, but never had to work on a Chinese diode projector. The manufacturer of this projector wasn't able to help or supply any info.

After collimating LFI Rainbow 7 scan set projectors with an A/O in the beam path I'm hoping this, optically, won't be too bad. It's the electronics that has my focus

The projector flashes error lights when turned on with the seized scanner plugged in.

With the seized scanner unplugged, there are no error lights and the X scanner seems to function OK

Seems my choices are:

1. Replace the cable and the seized Y scanner, hope the old cards are OK, and tune the test pattern.

2. Replace the scanner block containing both new scanners, hope the old cards are OK, and tune the test pattern.

3. Replace the scanner block containing both new scanners and also replace the scanner cards, and tune as needed.

I've rummaged around the web but can't seem to identify the functions of each of the trim pots on these 10 pot scanner cards. If anyone has tuned these cards, any insight as to the assignment of the functions of those pots would be greatly appreciated.

I'm kinda leaning towards option #3. I don't want to replace the supplied power-supply as there is a lot of goofy unneeded automatic animation, and handy DMX functions, upstream from the scanners.

Sorry for the long post. I've attached some pix.

Thanks in advance for anyone's time on this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewScannerCard.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	53256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WholeProjector.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	53257Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NoName40kScanSet.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	306.7 KB 
ID:	53258

Those are PT40 scanners. I have those cards and I have the pots marked. Let me see if I can pull up a doc for you. I am at work right now.

EDIT:
    Here is the pdf with the pots and headers labelled.

https://www.showlasershop.eu/images/PT40K.pdf

The pots on the notch filter board do not need to be adjusted.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Those are PT40 scanners. I have those cards and I have the pots marked. Let me see if I can pull up a doc for you. I am at work right now. EDIT: Here is the pdf with the pots and headers labelled. https://www.showlasershop.eu/images/PT40K.pdf The pots on the notch filter board do not need to be adjusted.
    Wow! Fantastic, thanks so much. I thought the scanners were lower quality that PT40s. This is just exactly what I was looking for. This board is really great! Thanks again.

No problem. You *might* be in luck here. Since the release of the 506c scanners from Pangolin, a few people here have been modifying 3rd party amps to work with the 506c scanners. As a result, you may have people here with some orphaned PT scanners that might be keen to sell. May want to ask around.

Do the mod and get the 506...you will be very happy you did.

if you just do beams don’t bother

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Do the mod and get the 506...you will be very happy you did.

if you just do beams don’t bother
    I actually wouldn't recommend modding unless you're very comfortable soldering SMDs an have an O-Scope handy. Modding the amps is not just as simple as replacing a few components. Keep in mind, Pangolin does not offer tuning services anymore for modded amps.

Many thanks for all the tips! I actually considered going to the 506, but needed a quick swap fix. Of course it turned out to be not that quick with all the communication complications. I've got the offshore stuff here now and might as well get them in. Next time though...