Thread: Which side on my dichroic filter....

Default Which side on my dichroic filter....

Hey Guys,
    I just received my dichroic filter today and I'm not 100% sure I have the direction right and I just want to verify. It's a pass green reflect red filter. So, The coated side... which is a red coating is the first surface for reflecting red and I'm supposed to pass green through the uncoated side,,,, correct?
    Thanks!
    Adam

That's what I'm doing..I assumed it's right.. allthough A>S>S>U>M>E..hehe
    the front surface where the layers of dielectric coating is where the red will bounce off at 45 degrees I believe. The green has to pass thru the glass- hence the loss- you'll see 2 small reflections of green

It's tricky to get it right. You have to see where the beam is reflecting from. From the front of the filter or from the back. BTW most Edmounds filters do come with > mark marking direction.

Where is that > mark? On the edge? I should look.

Just look at it at an angle. It should be pretty obvious from that angle. The hard pary is with IR mirrors when they appear clear.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Another trick is to hold a soft object up to one side of it (ie a pencil tip, however be very careful with this and do it near the edge) when touching the surface the coated side's reflection of the pencil lead will look as if it is touching the actual pencil. On the opposing side the pencil lead will look as if it is about a 1/4" away from it's reflection.

I think the question was, which side is the red supposed to bounce off of ;the front-surface side or the glass side?

Sorry, then the red laser would bounce off of the coated surface of the dichro.

Got it guys. Thanks! I should have my RGY setup done tomorrow...... I have to drill more holes!
    Thanks Again!
    Adam