Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fog machines pipes and pumps.

Thumbs up Cleaning the Z1200 pump

Hi,
    After much searching I came across your gallery on field stripping the Z1200 pump.
    A big thankyou for taking the time to document this.

I have a UK version of the Z1200 which is of the same design except the pump coil is rated 230V 50Hz.
    In my case the pump did not appear blocked but produced a very nasty loud metal on metal rattle when operated. By disassembling, cleaning and rebuilding it is now much quieter!

Ta.
    David R.

I just got an email from TechRepublic about the Fog Screens that we were talking about in another thread.

Jim

The american dj foghog also has an oscillating type pump. i've fixed it many a time when it got clogged or jammed. the pump also had a nasty habit of getting stuck if it cavitated. sometimes putting a little pressure on it (blowing into the intake tube with it full of fluid) helped clear the jam and coaxed it back.

to my knowledge, these pumps don't have adjustable speed, just on or off. at no back pressure they move a lot of fluid, but the downstream side of the fog machine puts a lot of resistance on the fluid. on the whole I'm not a big fan of these pumps. i've tried to fix several small antari machines to no avail; it seems once they die, they die for good.

the best pumps i've had experience with have been the peristaltic type pumps found on the roscoe 1600 (ie:the machine you can't kill). I'm not sure of the pump in the f-100, but it's a nice design as well.

MDG makes (or used to make) machines that just used co2 to force the fog through. this made the machines a bit more complex, but gave you an amazing amount of range over fog volume.

as for cleaning machines, i've always used distilled water once per month, this helps keep the machines running smoothly. once or twice per year i'll open the case and see how dirty they've gotten (these machines are stored in the scene shop of a theatre, so they get rather dusty inside).

I know this post is drifting wildy off topic, but I have a question: do any of you use hazers? In theatre, hazers are used for atmosphere, to play up the beams of lights whilst not killing visibility. I would assume haze would work well with lasers, if not better than fog. Do any of you use hazers? what have you found to be the most effective combination?

anyway, just my $0.02

YES to hazers!!! Hazers are great, the DF-50 and ZR24/7 hazers are both amazing at what they do. Haze takes advantage of a smaller particle size compared to fog. It allows the haze to linger longer and (like you said) allow great visibility!

I'm looking to buy one right now, and I found a cheap rip off of the Neutron series hazers by LeMaitre made by chauvet. Look through eBay for hazer, they're going for about 150 inc. shipping.

EDIT: The only issue with haze is if you are outdoors you really have a hard time winning that battle... For concerts we'll have a fogger for backup when the wind becomes an issue

I've heard that the chauvet hazer/fog combos are something to steer clear of. i've used df50's and zr24's, as they're pretty much the standard for theatre.
    however, when it comes down to it, the real question is what's in your price range.

as for outdoor events, you can't beat a smallish pyro show to set the stage (and provide particulates). then you can just back it up with fog and more smoke, if necessary. smoke pots are farily easy to build, and the two main pyro hobbyist sites sell one-shot kits (I recommend skylighter).

however, I think your variables for outdoor beam visibility are mainly based on weather. if it's windy, you're pretty much SOL.

Yeah the DF-50 is the standard by far. The ZR24/7 is gaining ground because it was suppose to replace the Neutron XS series hazers that kept clogging due to sediments in the tubes. The ZR24/7s weren't suppose to clog at all. Recently we opened up one of the 4 we own, and sure enough, it was clogged.

Pyrotechnics for the most part don't fly for most of the event we would work. And on top of it all the issue of liability comes in even though it is JUST a smoke pot. But the main reason why is because I work in the production industry, here many times we're lucky if the talent will even allow haze. And in my opinion moving lights are useless without it. But many people believe that it affects their singing. But realistically haze, being such a small particle, really has no effect on one's performance.

-Max

EDIT: Mr. Coffee where are you touring?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    I've heard that the chauvet hazer/fog combos are something to steer clear of. i've used df50's and zr24's, as they're pretty much the standard for theatre.
    however, when it comes down to it, the real question is what's in your price range.

as for outdoor events, you can't beat a smallish pyro show to set the stage (and provide particulates). then you can just back it up with fog and more smoke, if necessary. smoke pots are farily easy to build, and the two main pyro hobbyist sites sell one-shot kits (I recommend skylighter).

however, I think your variables for outdoor beam visibility are mainly based on weather. if it's windy, you're pretty much SOL.

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    But the main reason why is because I work in the production industry, here many times we're lucky if the talent will even allow haze.
    Man, you must work with some picky bitches. In theatre, fog/haze is bog standard. actors must get used to it or something, because i've never heard complaints about atmospheric effects.

Mr. Coffee where are you touring?
    Right now we're in china. In about three weeks we'll be in korea for a couple of months, and then on to malaysia and (hopefully) singapore. if you ever find yourself here, don't bother to bring a hazer. the air is so bad you won't need it. now if i could just find some scanners...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    Man, you must work with some picky bitches. In theatre, fog/haze is bog standard. actors must get used to it or something, because i've never heard complaints about atmospheric effects.

Right now we're in china. In about three weeks we'll be in korea for a couple of months, and then on to malaysia and (hopefully) singapore. if you ever find yourself here, don't bother to bring a hazer. the air is so bad you won't need it. now if i could just find some scanners...
    Yeah there is quite a bit of picky talent here. I think it comes mostly from professional training from someone who grew up in the era of "Cracked Oil" hazers, which were terrible for your heath. They go on to teach what they believe to still be "truth."

I hope to make it there someday, hopefully the air quality will improve before I make it there.

-Max

Yeah, I forgot about cracked oil . that stuff is probably carcinogenic. I hate the sludge it leaves on everything (we used to run one of those in a q-zar i worked in).

Haze powder was better, but it even said on the bottle you weren't supposed to use it indoors. looked nice, though.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra