Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help identify this retroreflective material

Default help identify this retroreflective material

First I'd like to say I'm impressed with the number of people skilled in various fields in this forum, I more commonly get an answer here than in a specialized community. Thank you.
    I'm back again with a non-laser question.

I'm looking for this retro-reflective foldable material used for high gain, low angle (sometimes passive 3d stereo) video projectors.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sQ-ZcMvtg0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrXf6waoUI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FhdqMpTgSk

Sadly this company and it's community is dead so I can't ask what they were using for the retroreflective sheets. All I could find was it's cheap.
    It may be some kind of retro-reflective tarp probably sold in rolls and used for outdoor items such as tents, but I swear anywhere I ask for such a high gain projection sheet some video projector screen seller jumps out of the bushes and tries to sell me his High Gain Super-Bright TripleX Silver™ projection screen or cloth with patented secret technology or something along those lines, costing hundreds of dollars. I need like 1 meter wide 40 meter long roll for a project so I can't afford to use a premium home cinema product here.

You want projection or mirror. Mirror try Mylar sheet.

I made a very nice screen by paint a sheet of plastic with a paint called screen goo. Comes in many styles. I tried the silver and seated the normal white. I believe it has glass beads in it. Gooscreen.com has it. I asked for samples and they sent paint sized jars. Four jars did a ten foot screen. Not cheap stuff but it’s 12 years later and still working well. I used a black felt for the outline of the screen. Mind you I had a ten foot screen when 32” 720p was 2k. No big deal now.

Thanks for the idea.
    I'm not a fun of paint for this as I doubt it will be reliable and durable for a flexible material and I also rather not paint 40 meter long roll if there's an alternative.
    But thanks for the input man.

Quote Originally Posted by Yerkat View Post
    Thanks for the idea.
    I'm not a fun of paint for this as I doubt it will be reliable and durable for a flexible material and I also rather not paint 40 meter long roll if there's an alternative.
    But thanks for the input man.
    Not sure it would not crack on flexible surface but you can spray it. I did. Fast. And easy.

spray 40 meters? Damn, that's savage. I'd get exhausted even with a wall roller.

"There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

According to the description it is a retro-reflective material and sounds exactly what silver projection screens are, just used for photography/video production instead. That is tiny glass/crystal powder applied to some flexible material.
    Some claim silver projection screens actually contain silver but I've never seen any, all seem to be a crystal powder appled to a cloth one way or another.

Any way, any idea what this type of greenscreen cloth used in video production and photography is called? Chromatte is a brand name and by a UK company aimed at professional photographers and video producers so I'm sure it won't be affordable for these lengths.

If you actually want huge and retro-reflective you might consider rolling your own...
    http://www.orange-traffic-cones.com/...EADSTYPE2.html
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Sure glass beads are hella cheap but the main issue is what are you going to permanently attach the beads to a fabric or other sheet? Companies seem to be using something similar to lamination but there's no way to verif that. If you use ordinary transparent acrylic paint mixed with glass beads it sticks but poorly and flakes and gets ruined the moment you try to bend the fabric.

There also has to be a reason fo the grey color of the fabric and some required properties for it for proper reflection, I don't think any color and light properties will do, but I may be wronghere.

Hi,

I normaly use 3M products, but this is similar / may work and is in the size you need AND is very reflective AND its cheap ($300 for 1m x 40m).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-REFL....c100005.m1851

Aron
    Did my first "Laser Lumia Show" in 1974... and have never stopped experimenting !