Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HEne PSU help please.

Default HEne PSU help please.

Hi, I have been away from lasers and the forum for a few years, but now want to get back into it a bit. I purchased a He-ne laser on Ebay to play with, but I can't figure out the PSU connections. The input has a 6 way plug, as shown in the attached pic. Can anyone help me with connection for 240V? I also just received a cheap galvo set from Aliexpress (with absolutely no connection info), so I might be back about that too!
    Thanks, David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hene1.jpg  

henepsu.jpg  

Looks like a LaserDrive PSU to me; the part number tells me it's TTL controlled, so as well as supplying 230V, you'll likely need a 5V source to enable the laser.
    The 230V input is across the 2 white wires (the yellow wire is the 115V input, so make sure to insulate it). Green will be the Gnd / 0V connection, which leaves the blaclk / white wire as the TTL control signal.
    I gather you purchased that from my friend at Lab Med, looks like you got a good deal.

Hi,
    Thanks for your help! It was indeed from Lab Med - they had a couple of other things I would have liked, but they were collection only.The label on the PSU says HighQue, Model 3145-2350-6.5-TTL-4 - hence the TTL control you mentioned. The laser looks nice, and it has some sort of motorised shutter (?) on the end, driven by a motor with a high ratio gearbox. Thanks agin, David

Sorry to bother you again! Just looking at it carefully - there are actually 3 white wires - i left tout he one opposite the green wire in my pic. One white wire is unmarked, one has 100v printed on it, the other has 300v. Which ones should I use?

I'll need to go and look at my PSUs, I do have a similar one with TTL control so should be able to decipher it.
    Incidentally, Lab Med is 5 minutes from my place; if he won't ship something, I can pick it up and we can make arrangements to get it to you, somehow.

I was watching that item as I was intrigued by the drive unit on the output. Figured it may be useful for something lumia related. Enjoy the laser and good to see you back on the forum, the addiction is strong
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Hello Jem, Thanks for your response and welcome back. Although I had officially given up lasers, I still have a box containing low power modules of RGB that I get out andClick image for larger version. 

Name:	hene2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	53411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hene2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	575.5 KB 
ID:	53411 gaze at every so often! The killer for me was that after spending a fortune (which I couldn't really afford at the time) putting together a projector, I saw the price of blue drop from the £400.00 I had just spent, to a few quid for a diode 10 times the power! I will take it more slowly this time around.I am attaching another pic of the hene power connector - with all wires this time, hoping I can get it powered up soon.
    The unit on the end of the laser is strange. It just drives a small aperture around the output in an eccentric path. It can only go one revolution before it is halted by an end stop. If this was removed, I can see it being useful for lumia - also on my list

I'm afraid I can't help you with the power supply, but lumia is always good

Hope you manage to get it working soon.
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I contacted Sam (of Sam's FAQ), and he advised me to look carefully at the 3 white wires. It turns out one has very faint yellow markings on it, so this and the white/black are the TTL connections. Anyway, I connected it up 2 whites to 230VAC, yellow insulated, and TTL wires to battery pack (3 AA cells) yellow/white to + and black/white to -. Turn it on - nothing
    230V is definitely getting to the PSU,but no sign of life at all. Maybe I didn't get such a good deal after all!

Are you hearing the high voltage "kick" when you power it on or when you apply power to the TTL? It will be fairly quiet but you should be able to hear it. Should sound like an old CRT tv when you first turn it on. A high frequency "snap", like that from a flyback transformer. If not, there are a few possibilities... either the power supply is bad, the TTL is not working, or the wiring is not correct.