Thread: Spectra Physics 2020 $100 on ebay

Default Spectra Physics 2020 $100 on ebay

Nothing to do with me, but may be worth it if you are local.

CLICKY

Cool

Damn, that's a hell of a deal. 3 phase power and water cooling though. I'd never be able to use it. But for $100 bucks it's almost worth it for me to drive to Connecticut to buy it! (Even if I could only ever use it at SELEM events with 3 phase power available...)

Adam

I tried to snipe it but lost. Unfortunately everyone else had the same idea. It went for like $212.00. I bet it's all gassed out anyway.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

remember, although you may get lucky, most of the ion systems on ebay will be at the end of their lifetime. you may have bought it for 200, then paid 250 to ship only to find out its dead and needs a 3000.00 regass-
    go big or go home

if you see me bidding on ebay, nine times out of ten it will be because I have a replacement tube or I need the parts-
    go big or go home

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    remember, although you may get lucky, most of the ion systems on ebay will be at the end of their lifetime. you may have bought it for 200, then paid 250 to ship only to find out its dead and needs a 3000.00 regass-
    Although, It may be worth it if you look at it as a fresh 5W argon for $3500. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me. Any ideas what this setup retailed for in the 80's?

yes, if you know that going into it. my point is that someone may spend the bread hoping to get a working unit, only to find they wasted their cash and cant afford a repump- new small frame 5 watt argons averaged between 28 and 32 grand when new-
    ofen times I find people in this forum believing that a small frame ion laser is only worth a few hundred bucks,- they base this on these ebay auctions of dead units. The fact is if you are in need of one doing spec power plan on 1500 to 2 grand- this is generalization of course you never know you may get lucky. I am just trying to help people from geting burned-
    go big or go home

Oh, Don't take me wrong. I was just adding to your point. I agree, don't expect much for your $100-$200 gamble, Only a few get so lucky. I did buy a 150W CW YAG laser on ebay a year ago for $130 and got it running for a $130 arc lamp. Now that's lucky!

Cool

Even if you had to re-gas it, it would have been a deal. But Paul is right, it would end up being a $3000 laser, not a $200 laser.

Hell, the power supply alone is probably worth more than that!

If I had access to three-phase power, I would have bought it. Hell, even if I could only use it once or twice at year (at SELEM, for example) it would still be cool as hell to own it. But if you can't fire it up every month or two the damn thing will probably end up high pressure anyway. Sigh... I talked myself out of this laser at least 5 times in the past week, and now I'm starting to talk myself back into it again, even though it's gone! (Fred called me about it earlier today, and we talked about it for a while then too...)

Well, if there's one truth to E-bay, it's that there is *ALWAYS* another deal just around the corner... Maybe next time. (Eh, with any luck I'll get a head working with my HGM 5 power supply, and then I'll have a decent Argon that will run off single phase!)

Adam