Thread: New guy

Default New guy

Hey everyone.great site you have here.lots of info.
    Where would I post questions about this old coherent/Tarm beamstar laser unit I have come into possession of?
    What sort of info is needed?
    Thanks

Welcome to the Forum...
    You can choose an appropriate section in which to open
    a Thread here....
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/forum.php

Enjoy your stay.

Jerry
    See the LaserBee II and all other LaserBee LPM products here....
    All LaserBee Laser Power Meter Products

New 3.2Watt RS232/USB LaserBee II LPM REVIEW

Always in stock and ready to ship....
    Subsidary:-Pharma Electronic Solutions

Tell us about yourself and your laser projects

Thanks for the welcome!!!

I work at an audio/lighting company called the RockShop in Vancouver Canada.

we use Camco and Lab Gruppen amps,Meyer line array and msl3 systems.
    we also have a tonne of McCauley stuff including the 421 bass system.
    we mix on SC48 digital mixers.
    I only tell you all this to demonstrate we arent idiots but this lazer thing has us stumped.

I REALLY want to make it work..we got it from someone who had it stored for over a decade and we aren't positive we have all
    the necessary cables.
    The fine gents at Laser World have sent us some documentation but some stuff isnt the same as in the pics.
    Ive looked everywhere and done searches for tarn and Beamstar here but cant find any pertinent info.

If anyone here is familiar with
    the tarn Beamstar unit with a cooler and the keydesk 3plus.I would LOVE to pick your brain.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dave Maye

Please don't run with scissors........

So I guess no one is familiar with this unit/system?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Or they might not have seen your post since this is in the meet and greet section. Might try asking in the "Help" section since it may get more views by someone that may be familiar.
    PM Sent...

I'm curious about your description - can you post some pictures? If you don't want to open it up, that's fine, but a picture of the front and back at least would be most helpful.

"Tarm" is a Laserworld brand of solid-state projector that uses very expensive OPSL laser modules that are manufactured by Coherent. If that is indeed what you have, then it's probably worth repairing the unit to get it working again, as those units were rather costly when new. It could be that all you need is the proper laser show software and an ILDA-output controller to use this projector. (Pictures will tell the tale.)

"Beamstar", on the other hand, is a brand of laser power meter, and it's also the name of a software package that can use a normal camera (plus an ND optical filter) to do beam profile characterizations. But I'm not aware of any laser projector that was marketed as a "Beamstar", which is why I'm confused.

If you do, in fact, have a Laserworld TARM projector, then you'll still need some laser show software and a controller that outputs an ILDA signal in order to use the projector. Something like Pangolin's Quickshow package would be ideal.

But first thing's first: please post a picture or two of the unit you have. In particular, I'm looking for a DB-25 connector on the back. If there is one present, that's where you'll need to connect your ILDA controller's output to the projector.

Adam