Thread: Power vs Divergence / OPSL for outdoor beam effects

Default Power vs Divergence / OPSL for outdoor beam effects

I have not had a chance to play with some of the OPSL RGB projectors such as the ones by Kvant and I'm curious as to what would be better/brighter:

For outdoor aerials / beam effects, how would 40 W of RGB with a 6mm beam and ~1mrad of divergence be better or worse than an OPSL with a 3mm beam and ~0.35mrad divergence. The calculations I've done show the OPSL should appear much brighter, but just thought I'd ask some people here who have actually used it.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on where you're standing. If you're 50 feet out, the former, if you're 500 feet out, the latter.

Yeah, the math works out the same way. I guess what I'm wondering is how do the numbers compare to real life...

Quote Originally Posted by Lightstream View Post
    OPSL with a 3mm beam and ~0.35mrad divergence.
    You must mean "OPSL HD"? Not the standard OPSL?
    - There is no such word as "can't" -
    - 60% of the time it works every time -

Well, specifically I was looking at the Kvant 10w OPSL. I'm not sure if they call it the "HD" or not, but those are the specs they list.

You must be very rich.....

Eh..its an investment. But that is why I wanted to ask here to know if it was worth having OPSL at much lower power. I know the numbers show its better, but I was wondering if real life differs... Especially since it seems like OPSL is used frequently for long distance graphics and I'm focused on beams/aerials.

Just another thought and I have zero idea if this is viable. What about fiber lasers? I would think that would be much cheaper but I have no idea about beam quality.

One thing I?d would say for diodes is if one or ten blows it?s a lot quicker and cheaper to repair. If opsl goes your stuck with an expensive service call. I would however think they are very reliable and if you are doing production that can afford them you can afford a Service contract with them.