Thread: Noob needs some basic advice

Default Noob needs some basic advice

Hi guys. I'm exploring the idea of getting an RGB laser to provide some lighting effects for my own personal playroom. A long-standing techno-geek, any excuse to buy something new to play with. The room I'd be working with is about 25ft x 25ft with 15ft vaulted ceiling. How much power would be sufficient for that sized room? I'd be more focused on 'beam-shows' and atmospheric effects than animations. Thanks much for your help.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I would say that 300-500mW would be more than sufficient. There are a few other small considerations, such as whether you'd have any other lighting this would need to compete with but, for personal enjoyment at home in that size room, you shouldn't need a lot.

Awesome. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I would say that 300-500mW would be more than sufficient. There are a few other small considerations, such as whether you'd have any other lighting this would need to compete with but, for personal enjoyment at home in that size room, you shouldn't need a lot.
    I agree with you Brad that the power need isn't high even for beam usage, but I also think in addition to safety considerations (#1 issue!) that other light fixtures the laser(s) will have to compete with must be considered as well.

As an example, this picture is roughly the same size as that room, albeit with a lower ceiling:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	S2200021.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	37351

The projectors on the left right and center low range from 1.5 to 1.8 Watts. The center high projector is 500mW. The final one bouncing off mirrors is 1.2W. The lights its competing with are set to roughly half their potential brightness (and they still aren't that bright even at full output). Also just as a caveat, this environment would not be eligible for a variance in the US.

-David
    Last edited by dkumpula; 03-09-2013 at 11:55. Reason: more info
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Thanks David. I watched some of your videos. Amazing. Parties must be a hoot at your house.