Thread: Coherent Sapphire 480-300

Laser Warning (SOLD) Coherent Sapphire 480-300

This is a rare Coherent Sapphire laser head that I received without any identifying labels. This laser may have been a custom OEM solution by Coherent for a specific customer.

I have put about 8 hours on this laser and it appears to be in perfect working condition.

Note: This laser head seems to be relatively new and requires the Coherent Sapphire LP USB controller.

Wavelength: ~480nm

The controller reports 488nm, but this is incorrect. The beam is significantly darker than the 488nm cyan, see the picture. The controller may just be selecting the closest wavelength it knows about. If this was a custom OEM solution, a specially programmed controller was probably also included that knew about this custom wavelength. Phil Bergeron tested this laser, and he seemed to suggest that it was 480nm.

Maximum Output Power: 330mW at 110% power, 300mW nominal

However I run it at 200mW to ensure long pump diode life, and that is the output power it is at in the picture.

Diode Reserve Current: 3.2A

This is the maximum current for the pump diode. Here is the current draw at various power outputs:

200mW @ 2.4A (75% DRC)
    300mW @ 2.8A (87% DRC)
    330mW @ 2.9A (90% DRC)

This laser uses 87% maximum current at 100% rated power -- this leaves a good amount of reserve current and indicates that the pump diode is healthy. Running at 200mW (75% of maximum current) will likely prolong the life of the head even further (25K hrs +).

Head Hours: 2413 hours

These laser heads can last 10,000 to 25,000 hours, so this is laser is relatively young.
    Laser heads often accumulate hours in standby mode, so the real figure is likely to be much lower.

Because of this, the diode current draw at maximum power is a much more reliable indicator of health.

$1300 OBO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s-l1600 (2).jpg  

s-l1600 (1).jpg  

s-l1600.jpg  

Last edited by lasersareuseful; 02-19-2018 at 21:51.

Sold!

(15 chars)

I forgot to warn you the measured power may be quite a bit lower than the CDRH supply reads on these; I hope the buyer is happy with 250 mW or so. Phil
    Phil Bergeron( AKA 142laser)