Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Video Of My RGY Projector!

300Evil or shall I say RGY.Evil..

Looks really good man, are you planning on adding the blue?
    with that setup you have now, you'll make an awesom rgb !

werner

Thumbs up Great

That looks real neat well done..

Can I put on my newbie hat for a minute and ask how come you can make a green beam as well...??
    Is it the type of dichro you are using ?? Like does it pass "some green" and reflect some ?? If so do you buy dichros as a , say pass 40% and reflect 60% that type of thing ??
    Just like to know how you do that..

Cheers
    Ray
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Very nice! And you couldn't have picked a better song to play in the backround... One of my favorites...
    Mine too! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    It is looking good. The balance is a nice yellow. Looks to be a lot of green being reflected off the dichro IMO. You should have full power when you put 5volts to it though, not turn off fully... I think.
    Thanks! Yeah, mine is backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    yeahh, now dump that spare green to a second scan set and you are a go!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by marconi View Post
    Or into a lumia wheel ...

Nice job...has a nice presence to it.
    This was my learning curve. I'm going to sell this one with all the CDRH compliance and build my RGB setup with better galvos and software. From ther I'll take the waste beams and do something cool. I was thinking some open loop scanners for liquid sky or bounce.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    There are some out there that have the blanking signal inverted on the laser driver. Its simple to correct by adding a 7404 inverter.
    It seems to work fine when I apply 5+ volts. Just not from my modulation source.
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 07-20-2007 at 15:34.

Quote Originally Posted by werner1619 View Post
    300Evil or shall I say RGY.Evil..

Looks really good man, are you planning on adding the blue?
    with that setup you have now, you'll make an awesom rgb !

werner
    Thanks a lot! Read post above......

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    That looks real neat well done..

Can I put on my newbie hat for a minute and ask how come you can make a green beam as well...??
    Is it the type of dichro you are using ?? Like does it pass "some green" and reflect some ?? If so do you buy dichros as a , say pass 40% and reflect 60% that type of thing ??
    Just like to know how you do that..

Cheers
    Ray
    NZ
    Well, I'm not exactly sure. This is my first experience with dichros. Supposedly this one is a $400 optic. I picked it up for $20 because of a small scratch. It has many different coatings on the red side for transmitting 532 and reflecting 650. but appears to be no coatings on the 532 receiving side.... I may be wrong on this. I guesstimate I.m getting a 10%+ loss on the 532 and maybe less than 5% on the 650. But I'll check it with my new laser power meter. Either way, with little loss on the 650 I still had to turn down the 532 A LOT in order to achieve balance.
    Thanks!
    Adam

I would bet that it is a 50/50 or 60/40 beam splitter. That is why you are getting that stroung green beam. If you use a true dichro you would not get that reflection.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    I would bet that it is a 50/50 or 60/40 beam splitter. That is why you are getting that stroung green beam. If you use a true dichro you would not get that reflection.
    Well, I may not know much about dichros but it's not just a beam splitter. it appears bluish-green on the throughput side and red on the bounce side. looks like a dichro I think. BTW, It's not colored glass, all done with coatings on one side.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Well, I may not know much about dichros but it's not just a beam splitter. it appears bluish-green on the throughput side and red on the bounce side. looks like a dichro I think. BTW, It's not colored glass, all done with coatings on one side.
    Could you post a picture of it without the lasers on? From your description it sounds like an optic out of some sort of He-Ne fixture. Bottom line is if it was a pass 532nm reflect 650nm you would not get the green beam reflection.
    I am not saying it is a bad thing so don`t get me wrong. you could use that beam for other effects.
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Cool

I tend to agree with Fred... It sounds like you may have been sold something other than a strictly "reflect red, pass-everything-else" dichro. Maybe it's a notch filter, or something even more exotic... If the guy was truthful about the $400 price tag, then it's the most expensive dichro I've ever seen, at least in that size.

The faces on my dichros look different depending on the angle I look at them. The one that reflects red and passes everything else looks magenta if I look straight on, but a light greenish-yellow if I get off to one side. It looks similar when viewed from the backside, except that the colors are darker. That doesn't quite sound like what you reported though.

Eh - You may be able to make use of that waste beam, as several have suggested. Then again, you may decide to swap out that dichro in the future for one that doesn't loose quite so much power. (I just ordered another set of dichros from Edmunds Optics on Friday. $113 delivered for a reflect red and a reflect blue, both 25 mm in diameter.)

Adam

The dichro from Edmund Optics I bought (for a lot less) also reflects a little of the green. I think it is 90% passthrough so 10% reflect.

Don't forget that dicros are very angle dependent. If you have a dicro optimized for 45 degrees just a couple of degrees off 45 can change the pass / reflect wavelength greatly. Some moving lights use this as the basis for their color mixing (Vari*light).

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.