Thread: 2000 Watt CO2 laser just arrived at work!

Default 2000 Watt CO2 laser just arrived at work!

We just got in a 2KW CO2 cutting laser here at the workplace. I can't wait to see that thing in action!
    Strange though -not many warning labels. One small label that reads "wear protective laser goggles for 10.6uM" Nothing more except the Class label. The guy said that when he was at their facility watching it no one had goggles on. He can still see, so I guess they have anti- scatter measures/devices built into the aperature.
    The chiller itself it taller than me and is almost as big as the laser-cutter!
    "The ultimate cigarette lighter" one guy said as we were walking by..
    Someone said it cost $500K; I would have thought 2 mil at least.

<edit> It's a 5000 Watt not 2000, I mis-read the label. Small mistake of 3000 Watts of laser uh- heh-mmm..
    Last edited by steve-o; 08-01-2007 at 06:31. Reason: mis-read label

take some pic's !!!

They're working on hooking the 3 phase up to it now. It may be a few days but I'll post some pix up soon. Hopefully with the sparks-a-flyin'

Cool

There's a place here in Charleston (Sheila's) that makes these little wooden houses... They're replica's of actual historical buildings, but they're only like 6 inches tall and they're just a flat piece of wood. (Well, they're painted and silkscreened to look like the real thing...) Anyway, they actually sell a whole lot of these things, despite the fact that some of them cost upwards of $60... (Most are around $25 though.)

They used to use a router table to cut out the shapes, but then they decided to get a dual-head CO2 cutting laser because it could do finer corners and more detailed carvings. I think they paid around a half million for theirs as well. (If memory serves, it's a 2500 watt laser.)

I've seen it in operation, and it's pretty quick. Neat machine really. They had to dial the power back because it was scorching the wood at first. It's not a sealed tube; they have CO2 flowing through it all the time.

Ah... Just found their website: Doesn't say anything about the laser though.

Adam

Cool! And intracate! I like the light houses. Never heard of a laser doing that kind of stuff.
    I'm not sure if this one's flowing-gas type or not. Maybe the pics will tell. I have to remember to bring my camera to wk. Or I could borrow the motor dept's good digital cam.(better idea- mines a cheap-o)

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    We just got in a 2KW CO2 cutting laser here at the workplace. I can't wait to see that thing in action!
    Strange though -not many warning labels. One small label that reads "wear protective laser goggles for 10.6uM" Nothing more except the Class label. The guy said that when he was at their facility watching it no one had goggles on. He can still see, so I guess they have anti- scatter measures/devices built into the aperature.
    The chiller itself it taller than me and is almost as big as the laser-cutter!
    "The ultimate cigarette lighter" one guy said as we were walking by..
    Someone said it cost $500K; I would have thought 2 mil at least.

<edit> It's a 5000 Watt not 2000, I mis-read the label. Small mistake of 3000 Watts of laser uh- heh-mmm..
    Anything like the one here? http://photonlexicon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999

This is the one I saw in Taiwan at out Stainless Steel supplier.
    It cost $750.00
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

Cool

Fred;

Maybe $750,000? Hell, if they're only $750 I'll buy one and use it to set off fireworks!

Adam

No, but it does have those big teeth that the metal plate(s) sit on. I guess that's to keep things perfectly still during cutting..
    Last edited by steve-o; 08-02-2007 at 03:16.