Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for diagrams or photos of water cooled Coherent ion tubes

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

~ 5000VAC should light the tube TO A VERY FAINT GLOW, its better for the health of your PSU if you have a kilo-ohm or so ballast in series with the tube.
    ~
    OK to connect to big HENE supply IF and ONLY IF you have 47,000 Ohm (47K0, aka 47K) one to three watt ballast resistance in series with the tube.
    ~
    Once the ion tube lights on such a small current the voltage across the tube will probably drop to less then 500 volts,actually probably about 200 VDC..

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

OK, set up the big HeNe supply with a 5W 47k carbon film resistor in series to the anode and the -ve to the cathode. EHT meter between A and K reads 16kV so the tube isn't striking.
    I may have a lead on a replacement tube, waiting for a reply now.

Just to check the setup works, I swapped the Omni tube for a Novus 2000 tube. The slightly shorter Novus 2000 tube ignited at about 2.5kV and flashed regularly. Swapped the Omni tube back in and the supply sits at just under 17kV with no sign of ignition, so pretty certain the tube is U/S.
    Anything else worth trying?
    I suspect this tube is going to be the subject of a dismantling exercise to see what's inside one of these tubes!