Thread: ideas on homemade liquid crystal screen needed

Default ideas on homemade liquid crystal screen needed

I have liquid crystal and glass bead spacers that I want to apply between two ITO glasses or PETs and UV cure to bond all the layers together. This is probably done industrially by precision rollers and very powerful UV light to cure it immediately as it leaves the rollers, but I don't have access to that. Any ideas what else I can try? I coud squeeze the layers with a thick glass slab and use powerful UV LEDs to cure the liquid layer, but I fear the liquid leaked from the sides may adhere the glass slab to it. That could still be removed with an exacto knife but it may easily adhere to the baseplate as well, leaving it stuck between the two. Any other ideas? PS. This is not your typical LCD screen, it contains liquid crystal but its much simpler.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:46.

Yeah, I've seen it. He does not use uv resin or glass spacers and just squeezes the liquid crystal between the glasses by hand. That works for proof of concept but the unknown layer thickness due to lack of spacers make it an unpredictable and poor screen for any use other than showing it works.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:38.