Thread: Lasers of the Victorian Era

Default Lasers of the Victorian Era

The latest from St. Wilfred's Lumentic Institute:

A new article has appeared in the 4/1/2018 edition of Popular Photonics Magazine.

Excerpt:

The reign of Queen Victoria saw a number of advancements in technology: steam engines, the beginnings of the electrical industry, and, of course, the introduction of lasers into mainstream life. French Scientific pioneers such as Prof. Fermé D’Aperture and Dr. Flickre Galveaux led the development of the first coal-gas lasers, using bituminous vapors as lasing media...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ol' Straighty.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	53808

Full article is here:

http://mikegouldlaserartist.com/Lase...ctorianEra.pdf

Cheers...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Outstanding !!!!!!! Perfect !! Both picture and text are superb !! My only other comment ....If the greatest mind of our time was Steven Hawking....and he advanced the possibility of Multi-Universe's....then....the above outlined history MAY exist...in some universe !!! Think about it !! MG is simply reporting on that alternate reality !!! WOW !!!

CDBEAM
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

... yes, absolutely! -- there's a real chance, that Leaonardo da Vinci had some related or path-breaking ideas and development too

Viktor

It is my understanding that it would only work with certain types of coal. It was later found that it was the copper in the coal that lased and the uranium decay giving off helium3. Some minor lines in the uv were there from nitrogen but they didn’t have tech to see those lines at the time. Sometimes they got more lines because of selenium.

LOL!
    Good analysis.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by clickamouse View Post
    LOL!
    Good analysis.

...Mike
    The shame was the runtime was short due to fouling of the Tolkien mirrors (an all stop filter- non shall pass)by tar pitch. They were able overcomethe issue to some extent by using a rotating window that left the chamber and was clean in solvent and the squeezed dry as it re entered the chamber. Unfortunately they used a chlorinated relative of methylene chloride that had a residual HF component that etched the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    The shame was the runtime was short due to fouling of the Tolkien mirrors (an all stop filter- non shall pass) by tar pitch.
    LMFAO!

That's priceless right there dude...

Adam

I really enjoyed reading this, Mike. Thank you for edu-taining us photon-pushers.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"