Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

IUID? No, wait, that's QR isn't it? IUID is data matrix, so no round edges, right? Eh - I should ask Marie... She used to deal with this all the time when she was running that laser engraver a few years ago.

Interesting though - regardless of what format it's in my phone refuses to scan it... Won't even lock on for some reason. Could the color be throwing it off?

But even so, it's probably a little too obscure for a shirt logo, don't you think?

Adam

Standard QR codes. They should scan-- they do scan on my phone. Try different distances..

A little obscure yes. Just having some fun.

The QR codes do support putting a logo in the middle of the code.. I just don't have time to make a little SELEM 12 logo to put in the middle.. I'll post an example in a minute.

Example:
    Attachment 54192

If anyone wants to play around, I was using this site: https://www.unitag.io/qrcode
    And this URL for the QR code: http://bit.ly/SELEM12

.... .... ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails generate.png  

It scanned for me. Find a prettier logo for the middle tho!

I just made that logo in like 2 minutes on a free logo site. I'm not good at those things.

Since it looks like there's a lot of cool stuff coming along this year and lots of planning conversations going on, I set up a Discord to help sort things out if any of you want to try it out! If you haven't used Discord before, it's like a super lightweight version of the best parts of IRC, Slack, and Skype without any of the hassle -- you can join multiple "servers" containing multiple conversation channels with scrollback, there are options for both text and voice (that doesn't suck), browser + desktop/mobile app support, and no account registration required - you can just hop in! (and you can convert your instant account into a permanent one to use across devices/with persistent preferences once you're in)

If you want to check it out: https://discord.gg/bffuUSJ

I set up a couple channels that I figured could be useful but feel free to add/customize them, and if you want to help manage things PM me on here with your Discord username and I'll give you perms. Hopefully this can be useful for everyone!

I have a couple friends interested in checking things out this year too, so we'll have some extra setup/teardown help...in addition to 2 more artists to spin in Club SELEM (and likely some cool synth gear as well)! Now to figure out how to tetris more ions into my car with all the other stuff...

Not sure if I'll be coming this year or not. It does take a bit of $$$ to do everything.
    Although if I do come I'll need someone to share hotel rooms to cut down costs as much as possible.

Exclamation Not my fault, but still my job to fix it...

Hey everyone!

We need to change the SELEM layout this year. The school decided to do a bunch of renovations this summer, and they won't be finished by the time SELEM starts. They are using the old gymnasium to store all the furniture they moved out of the school. So that space will *not* be available for our use. (Despite the fact that they told us it would be when we double-checked with them back in March! Grrrrr....)

Yeah, this is a big kick in the guts for us, and I've been working with the Mayor and the new Auditorium Director to try to come up with some alternatives. We looked into moving some of the stuff out of the gym before SELEM and them moving it back afterwards (School said no). We looked at moving "Club-SELEM" to another school gym (too far away). We even looked at moving "Club-SELEM" to the vacant firehouse that is ~ 2 blocks away, but that space has no air conditioning. (D'oh!)

So at present our only option is to put the club back where it used to be, which is the Cafeteria. This isn't too hard, as we used to use the Cafeteria for Club-SELEM for many years before we discovered the gym, so the setup should go pretty smoothly. But now the question is, what do we do with all the stuff we normally set up in the Cafeteria? Well, I've got an idea...

How about we take everything that would have been in the Cafeteria, and instead we put it all upstairs in the long hallway and two classrooms that are above the gallery and kitchen area in the main building? Would that work for everyone? We already plan to use one of the rooms up there for the Laser Safety Officer class, but that's only on Wednesday and Thursday in the mid-to-late morning... The hallway and other classroom would be wide open for the duration of SELEM.

An alternative would be to use the downstairs gallery area for all the interactive display stuff that used to be in the Cafeteria, and then move *all* the presentations from the gallery up into the upstairs classrooms... But that might not leave enough space for everything that we used to have in the Cafeteria.

What do people think? We've got some time between now and August to make plans, so we can work through lots of different layouts and ideas. But no matter what we come up with, it's a foregone conclusion that we won't be able to get into the gym at all this year. (Damnit) We have to figure out the best way to make things fit...

With regard to the indoor drone racing, we will probably end up scaling that activity back a bit. We could still do some racing in the Cafeteria, but we can't leave the course set up as it would interfere with Club-SELEM in the evenings. Still, I think we can work around that.

Looking forward to next year, I plan to meet with some of the senior representatives from the town and the school during SELEM this year to get a commitment from them for next year and beyond. And if they can't/won't commit, then I will inform them frankly that we intend to look elsewhere for venues. As much as I hate the thought of leaving Newton after all these great years, if the school is isn't going to support our efforts then we need to move to another town that will.

Please reply with your ideas, comments, etc.

Adam

PS: Dealing with bullshit like this is the reason I have high blood pressure!

I think it's a great idea. I sent you a longer PM with some thoughts. Thanks.

It’s a bummer, but it’s only for one year. We will survive.

Regarding the interactive displays, I’d lean towards getting as much as we can into the gallery as putting them upstairs may make them “out of sight, out of mind”. Classes can easily go upstairs.

What are you thinking we do this year with backstage? Interactive overflow, build area, “gassy people” , buy/sell, or something else?

David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"