Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

The gym smelled funny anyway. Hopefully they cut you a break on the cost and the extra money can be used for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I’d lean towards getting as much as we can into the gallery as putting them upstairs may make them “out of sight, out of mind”.

I think trekking over to the cafeteria is much more "out of sight" than going upstairs in the same building. It's really annoying that they won't let us use the restrooms in the cafeteria -- pushing people back to the main building.

The Pros of putting the interactive displays in the gallery:
    - More traffic, so passing by you might see something really cool going on.
    - Larger space for socializing
    - Large Wall to Project on

Cons of interactive displays in the gallery:
    - Will people be crossing a beam path?
    - Can't make the room darker during the day (Should never be pitch black anyway)
    - Presentation will be forced to a smaller room. Everyone may not be able to physically get into the room

Pro of interactive space being upstairs:
    - Could most likely cover the windows to make a darker space
    - Should be able to setup so that no one ever crosses a beam path
    - Each room could have different stuff going on simultaneously. Z5, Glow in the Dark demo, Aron Bacs display in one room, borderlands LAN party, Drones, in the other room. Or both rooms may have different lasers shows going on at the same time.
    - May be easier to perform electronics work
    - Plenty of room in the gallery for presentations

Con of interactive space being upstairs
    - space is limited in each room
    - Hallway can't really be used for laser projection
    - Have to consciously go upstairs to find cool stuff
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    I’d lean towards getting as much as we can into the gallery as putting them upstairs may make them “out of sight, out of mind”. Classes can easily go upstairs.

David
    I agree 100%. Put the classes upstairs.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

That was more in depth than what I sent Adam last night but all valid points. My two other cons about upstairs were whether those individuals that typically set up in the interactive area want to drag all their stuff up stairs - although there is the elevator. And, if I recall, the air conditioning upstairs has been inconsistent in some years. Can't the windows in the gallery be blacked out with plastic like we do elsewhere?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyRobot View Post
    The Pros of putting the interactive displays in the gallery:
    - More traffic, so passing by you might see something really cool going on.
    - Larger space for socializing
    - Large Wall to Project on

Cons of interactive displays in the gallery:
    - Will people be crossing a beam path?
    - Can't make the room darker during the day (Should never be pitch black anyway)
    - Presentation will be forced to a smaller room. Everyone may not be able to physically get into the room
    This is a great case for classes going upstairs. I love the idea of extra traffic in this area.

To speak to the con points above, the cafeteria space didn't usually have stray beams in the room and wasn't particularly dark over the past year or two anyway, so I don't think that's a loss. Outside of the door prizes in the auditorium the highest attendance event at SELEM each year is the Pangolin session and that's managed to fit in a classroom fine.

Smile

Great discussion guys!

I'm starting to agree with the idea of doing presentations upstairs, and reserving the entire gallery area (where the piano sits) for the interactive displays that we usually had in the Cafeteria. I agree that it will be a little bit crowded upstairs for some of the larger presentations like the LSX demo and Bill's Pangolin presentation, but we should be able to fit everyone in the larger classroom (the one in the middle). At least it will be quiet up there...

Right now I think the buy-sell-trade area should stay back stage. The Ion laser work room is definitely going to be in the men's dressing room (always has been), and I really like using the woman's dressing room for food and snacks. So if we leave all of that where it traditionally has been in past years and move the presentations upstairs, then I think the interactive stuff should fit downstairs, although it might be a little tight. (We can spill over into the entrance area behind the auditorium if need be.)

However, if we do this, we won't be able to have a loud sound system going in the gallery area, because it would drown out any other conversations in the room. But if people are OK with using smaller, desktop computer-sized speakers for their setups, then I think it will work out.

Indoor drone racing could still be done in the cafeteria on a limited basis, but we would need to take the track down each time when we were done. I can live with that though.

Thoughts?

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

There is also the foyer area of the auditorium as well. It's not huge but, it's somewhat dimly lit and could be spillover space as well.
    PM Sent...

Anyone driving a truck out from the west? I have a couple large projectors (like old school large) that might be fun to bring out, but I don't exactly want to drive a Uhaul across the country.

I am happy to coordinate the DJ sets as well as put a schedule online for all SELEM events.

Also, anyone who wants to split a room at the HI , PM me.

Here the logo that I made on Imgur, complete with the only real font choice

-Sal

Sal,
    I like the abstract idea for the SELEM logo, but it needs something, I'm not sure what.

Adam,
    I don't want to shut down club SELEM just so we can do indoor drone racing, but other than wiggling in where I can in the lobby or back stage, I can't think of anywhere else to go.
    How fun would it be to race up and down the stair well to the second floor, hall and around the first class room? I think my video would work just fine flying from the lobby. It would suck if we crash upstairs and need to go get the quad. Thoughts?

Chris