Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

If I were actually to haul a trailer to SELEM this year I could probably bring my full rack of tape machines.

Would this be of use to anyone?

- Ability to xfer ADAT to 8ch WAV or HD-24 IDE HDD
    - Ability to xfer Umatic 3/4" and S/VHS via Image Engineering to ADAT, WAV, HD24
    - Ability to xfer video/audio from SVHS, Umatic 3/4", (SuperBeta deck has noise) to H264 digital video files
    - Also have MiniDV, 8mm/Digital8, DVD, Digital8 playback/capture ability to H264 digital file as well.

Who has old laser industry or news related clips that need to be saved?

Old show tapes?

Paid and looking forward to my first SELEM in all these years!

Got you on the list, Carl! Looking forward to meeting you in person.

By the way, I haven't seen any suggestions for this year's logo yet. Does anyone have any ideas for SELEM 2018 (12th annual, and all that...)?

Adam

Hey guys (and gals!),

After having talked to Brad during UKLEM about SELEM, i slowly started talking to my girlfriend about skipping the usual hackercamps i visit (CCC (german hackercamp every 4 years), EMF (UK hackercamp every 2 years), Dutch hackercamps 4 yearly hackercamps) and maybe come over to SELEM in 2019 together with her.
    Not this year as Rob Faulkner and myself will have a blast on EMF (UK hackercamp) bringing lasers and lighting the place up.

However my girlfriend likes to watch lasershows, although not all day. She likes crocheting and puzzling, and can entertain herself perfectly, but doesn't have a driving license.
    So i am still in the " convincing mode" to maybe fly to JFK, see New york (have never been there myself, i have only seen Houston (1998) and Florida (a month before 9/11))
    My girl likes the idea, but only if we glue some days before and after selem to make it a "holiday".
    So perhaps fly to JFK stay in NYC for a few days, then fly to Charlotte, come to Selem and after selem fly somewhere else.
    Or Fly to JFK rent a car, make an all american road trip (it was just 10 hrs drive to Newton, NC from JFK terminal 4 i saw) go to SELEM and drive back maybe stop in Washington and then to NYC and fly back ?

Anyone else bringing their wifes to SELEM ? Also ones that like lasershows, but not all day ? And what do they do ?
    As an LEM organizer in the Netherlands i know a lot of dudes come alone, but occassionally someone brings the girl/wife along.
    Brad already told me the nearest city would be Charlotte and 45 min drive.
    Since my girl can't drive, she will be "stuck" for 5 days basically.
    And i know i will enjoy every minute of it, but now am a bit worried i have an awesome SELEM but a bored gf after a few days ;-(

I know it's only for 2019, but any tips, recommendations (stay all 5 days or just the 2 busiest days (tip from Justin Perry) , cheer-ons, stuff to see within walking distance, things to do for us in the neighborhood etc are welcome and will help in the "softening" process ;-)
    Not wanting to intrude/hijack your SELEM 2018 topic, but didn't know where to ask all these questions better and hopefully get some answers from you dudes and dudettes.

Thanks to Brad for his awesome stay at UKLEM and all the stories about SELEM! Hopefully to see you all in 2019!
    Counting on your advices, tips, recommendations etc. to hopefully take her on her first airplane flight to the USA and visit both SELEM2019 and have a bit of a holiday together ;-)

Kind regards from the Netherlands,
    Dimitri aka hobbybob
    Last edited by hobbybob; 04-22-2018 at 10:30.
    I didn't fail !
    I just found out 10,000 ways that didn't work.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

DUDE!!!!! We gotta do this! I don't have time to do a lengthy answer right now but, I'm sure Adam will. Short answer, Yes, there are, females, girlfriends and wives that that come to SELEM as well.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Short answer, Yes, there are, females, girlfriends and wives that that come to SELEM as well.
    Yes, but not many and they don't tend to spend the entire time at the event with our group of mostly middle-aged dudes.

Since it is such a long journey and Dimitri's gf doesn't have a driver's license, I'd be inclined to advise to keep it to three days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) and spend the remainder of the time doing some exploring of our massive country. (Pro-tip: Only half of us are crazy and/or a-holes. Which half is highly debated! )

DC has tons of free, wonderful museums. Philadelphia has tons of US history and great restaurants. Lots of people really like New York City but I personally don't get it after living/working there. The coastline further East has lots of things to see and do (Savannah and Charleston for example). Those two early days of SELEM are relatively quiet anyway, so I'd maximize my vacation dollar accordingly.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Quote Originally Posted by dkumpula View Post
    Yes, but not many and they don't tend to spend the entire time at the event with our group of mostly middle-aged dudes.

Since it is such a long journey and Dimitri's gf doesn't have a driver's license, I'd be inclined to advise to keep it to three days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday) and spend the remainder of the time doing some exploring of our massive country. (Pro-tip: Only half of us are crazy and/or a-holes. Which half is highly debated! )

DC has tons of free, wonderful museums. Philadelphia has tons of US history and great restaurants. Lots of people really like New York City but I personally don't get it after living/working there. The coastline further East has lots of things to see and do (Savannah and Charleston for example). Those two early days of SELEM are relatively quiet anyway, so I'd maximize my vacation dollar accordingly.

-David

Yea. What he said.

Wow, I didn't realize that it was SELEM registration time already. Payment sent.

-Sal

Ok, I'll get this ball rolling..... here's my entry for SELEM 12 logo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selem12.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	53902

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Ok, I'll get this ball rolling..... here's my entry for SELEM 12 logo:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	selem12.png 
Views:	66