Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2018 Sign-up Thread

Trotthouse is full up. We stayed at the HIE last year and probably will again. A couple of years ago we stayed at an AirBnB that was only about 5 min away, but that will def require a car and probably a few buddies to split the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    A couple of years ago we stayed at an AirBnB that was only about 5 min away, but that will def require a car and probably a few buddies to split the cost.
    I just booked this AirBnB about 8 minutes (2.2 miles) away from SELEM.. see: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3774120

I have it booked from Aug 7th (Tues) through the 14th (Tuesday), for $700 total --- a little less then what the HIE would have cost me for 6 nights (including taxes).

It has two bedrooms. I'm taking the room with the single queen bed. There's a second bedroom with two twin beds.

If anyone wants to split the fee with me for the week for the second bedroom, that would be $350 for 7 days, or $50 per night. If two people want to split that room with two beds, it would be $25/night, each.

I've posted the host's AirBNB rules below. Please PM me if you're interested. This won't be a 'first come/first served' situation.. I want to give people plenty of time to get to PL and see the post. Then I'll pick who I think would be a good fit for a housemate for a week.

-Hank

Highlights for your stay
    You’ll have access to the entire 2 bedroom, 1 bath home, including the kitchen, washer, dryer, and bathtub
    Enjoy free parking on premises and wifi
    Laura is a Superhost and has hosted 121 stays since 2014
    This home has 82 5-star ratings from guests
    Things to keep in mind
    Check-in time is flexible and check out by 12pm (noon)
    No smoking and not suitable for pets
    You must acknowledge:
    Pet(s) live on property
    Additional rules
    Honor and Respect One Another.
    That is what we give and what we expect.
    Ours is a Family-friendly, Rated-G property.
    We enjoy music, but not loud and late at night.
    We enjoy animals, but not in the apartment.
    We will provide a small, outside fenced area with a dog house on an as needed basis. Your pet will need to remain there. We have farm animals that we must protect. NC is Tobacco-land. You are free to smoke it, chew it or spit it in the outside areas only.
    We also ask that children are instructed to not walk IN the gardens, to not remove any animals from their housing and to not play in or near the pool without adult supervision. Thanks!

I used priceline.com once and got the best western for around $60/night. The rooms and breakfast were comparable to the HIE. Just further away.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    I just booked this AirBnB about 8 minutes (2.2 miles) away from SELEM.. see: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3774120

-Hank
    That's the spot, we stayed there in '16. I think you'll enjoy it, but you won't be having loud/late night shenanigans there as the host family lives directly across the pool in the main house. They showed up to SELEM for a bit that year and I think they enjoyed it.

Yeah, I just got this message back from the host:

Hello Hank,
    We will be glad to have you stay here. Any chance this is the laser enthusiast conference? Our family has enjoyed attending and have had guests stay here for the last several years for that event.
    Looks like our reputation precedes us.

I stayed at the Days Inn in Hickory last year...Pros: Cheaper than Holiday Inn at around $65 after taxes (2 double beds)...24 hour Waffle House practically in parking lot! Cons: Seemed like a long drive in the car after a full night of Lasers (part on Hwy 40)...got lost once...google maps froze and kept driving into boonies!

That being said...I have booked a room (2 double beds) at the Holiday Inn Express Conover and looking for a roomie to split the costs...

I will be arriving at Charlotte Airport (CLT) around 3pm Tuesday and have a rental car...Mustang! (It was actually the cheapest!)

Will be departing Sunday Morning (have 1:15pm flight).

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    Ok folks I'm looking to come this year....Hotels/Air any info much appreciated.
    Marc,
    I can't remember if we've met or not.
    May years ago I flew my Dad's (now my) airplane into Akron from Youngstown for a LEM at James Lehman's (Laser Boy) house. After the event I gave rides around the pattern. For some reason I thought you were there.

Chris

Hello again all...just wondering if there has been any other interest in the LSO class aside from myself?

Smile Buffo's back!

Hey folks! Sorry I've been out of touch recently. Just got back from Colorado. Ugh - I'm still fatigued from the altitude!

Some of you had trouble viewing Hank's submission. I think it's because it was in .png format, and for whatever strange reason the forum insists that you view it in a separate tab or window. Here it is in .jpeg format in case you missed it:

As for Chris' submission, well, I think it needed a little tweaking. Here's my take on his design:

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    (re: no lasting effects) ...other than the fact that the walls taste like peanut better and my water heater keeps telling me about the ufo base on the north pole...
    Aren't your walls made of peanut brittle? And for the record, your water heater is lying to you. The UFO base is located at the SOUTH pole. My dishwasher told me so!

Quote Originally Posted by hobbybob View Post
    He said not to fly to NY but to washington, stay a few days there (as some of you also suggested) then rent a car there (supposedly cheaper than NY ?) then take the blueridgeparkway to NC.
    There's a great deal to see and do in Washington DC, that's for certain! Be sure to save some time to check out both the Smithsonian Air and Space museum on the National Mall (basically downtown DC) as well as the Steven Udvar-Hazy Center, which is located out near the Dulles Airport far from downtown. I actually enjoyed the annex near the airport more than the main museum, but both are utterly amazing and should be on your "must see" list. Note that admission is free to both places. (And in fact, *ALL* Smithsonian museums are free to enter.)

The Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina is breathtaking, especially if you've never driven through the mountains before. However, you've probably already seen several mountain ranges in Europe, so this may not be quite as appealing to you as it would be for someone here in the US who may have never seen a real mountain before. Also, the Appalachian mountains are a much older formation, which means they are not nearly as high or as steep as newer mountain ranges like the Rocky mountains out west, to say nothing of the Alps, which are very new and thus quite steep (and high) compared to what you will find in North Carolina.

I will aim for friday, saturday and sunday and then continue our trip on monday morning.
    That's ideal. You'll catch the 2 biggest days of SELEM, and you'll also be able to see the outdoor concert (with lasers!) Sunday evening in downtown Newton.

Quote Originally Posted by hitekvoop View Post
    The host family lives directly across the pool in the main house. They showed up to SELEM for a bit that year and I think they enjoyed it.
    I don't remember these folks... Do you know their names? Would be very cool if they joined us again this year! Building a strong relationship with the general public around this event is something I've been working on for a while now. We need all the help we can get to keep the school board on our side with regard to the discounted rates we enjoy for the cafeteria and gymnasium rental.

Quote Originally Posted by 532withEnvy View Post
    Hello again all...just wondering if there has been any other interest in the LSO class aside from myself?
    No one else has posted here on the forum or sent me a private message - at least not thus far. I know of two people from a laser company who want to take the class as well, but they haven't posted here on the forum. So we have 3 out of the needed 6 people at this point.

Adam

PS: Anyone else have any ideas for a SELEM logo this year?

Logo Challenge: Maybe someone could do something simple and Lasery with this? The 12th Being of Conscious.
    Attachment 54030
    Last edited by rodman1369; 05-08-2018 at 07:39.