Thread: Lasers to be hit in new Chinese tariffs

Default Lasers to be hit in new Chinese tariffs

The new retaliatory tariff list was just released, and includes the HTC for lasers which is most commonly used when importing light show devices from China. Also includes LEDs, and hundreds of other things. Lots of things are about to get 25% more expensive...

https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files...ses/301FRN.pdf

It's not a Chinese tariff is it? Not if it's been set by Uncle Sam!

this is crazy... but i assume this is trumps way to combat the Chinese import and make their own markets more competitive... while maybe on some products this will work.. it will not work for a lot of products other then hinder markets and bump up pricings making lives for some people tougher..

Something tells me this tariff wont be recieved well and there will be a response from the other side.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

no. it's trump's way of pissing all over everything to make him feel better about being stupid and unloved.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    this is crazy... but i assume this is trumps way to combat the Chinese import and make their own markets more competitive... while maybe on some products this will work.. it will not work for a lot of products other then hinder markets and bump up pricings making lives for some people tougher..

Something tells me this tariff wont be recieved well and there will be a response from the other side.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I'm OK with it.

The retaliatory taxes that China proposed will seriously hurt the US. Trade wars in general are a bad idea, but this one is really stupid.

Consider this: which country is better able to suffer through the pain of unemployment, falling currency value, and general public unrest that will result in BOTH nations due to the trade war? (Put another way, which government actually needs to pay attention to the plight of it's people once in a while or risk being voted out of office?)

Not saying that China hasn't played dirty in the past, mind you. I agree that something needs to be done about the unfair policies. But a trade war is about the dumbest response I can think of.

Sigh. Get ready for everything to cost more. Soon. And be prepared to watch your 401K balance drop too.

Adam

Maybe one of our own trumpists will explain how this is going to "make america great again". This trade war he started on a whim, a traitor-filled white house, the constant golfing, the constant bald-faced lying, the inability to find qualified people to work with, or the inability of these clowns to do anything but shovel our taxes to their billionaire friends.

Opportunity for non-EU country to lower import taxes on goods from China and forward them to USA I guess, or Canada/South American countries I suppose.

Trump may be a complete bonker man with a cabinet of clueless people but gotta admire his boldness to challenge status quo and constantly dig his pickaxe in things that have been left for too long ignored.
    My kit: Mamba Elements V3 & DAC, ILD SOS & LaserCam, LaserDock DAC, Kvant Clubmax 1800 (2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Melgarh View Post
    gotta admire his boldness to challenge status quo
    If the methods with which he challenged the status quo made more sense, I'd agree with you. But right now his methods are demonstrably *worse* than the status quo. So, no, I don't admire him for that at all. If he had integrity, he'd admit that he's in over his head and ask a bunch of economic experts for advice.

The real issue here is that people see him as "Someone who at least does something", without realizing that maybe, just maybe, the problem is more complicated than it first seems and that is why so many other, smarter people have left it alone. Doing something poorly just makes it worse.

Consider the fact that his college economics professor (William Kelley) once said of the president: "Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had." Source

Well, now that former (dumb) student is making (dumb) economic policy decisions that affect us all. go team...

Adam

Words escape me.....now gas escapes me.....still smell better than Washington.