Thread: will a laser distance sensor work in this configuration?

Default will a laser distance sensor work in this configuration?

Here's a very simplified diagram: Any ideas if this will work? And anyone know if the reduced beam brightness from doing this will affect the readings of a standard ir laser distance sensor?
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:35.

... could work, if the reflectivity of the IR spot is high enough and not "outshined" by the visible projection -- but I think, the freeform mirror will change the spot size of the IR-beam, so add an error as radius-offset ...

Viktor

I just realized I missed the most important part, the sensor I'm thinking of using. It is a Time-of-Flight Distance Sensor.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-19-2018 at 18:06.

... at first I thought of a triangulation sensor - there the angle error would be an issue ... then too, the IR laser spot could possibly be outshined by visible light.

But with a TOF sensor this should be less of an issue - the pulse only has to be bright enough to compensate for the losses on the way ...

Viktor

thank you, feel confident enough now to buy one for testing

Even though I've ordered one to test out there are too many variables why this may not work (beam brightness being one) other than this one I am about to mention to determine to real issue. So any opinions would help. Heres the thing, the specifications of the sensor states a "FOV of 25 degrees". I'm not really sure what that FOV means here. The beam is reflected back to the detector and filtered by a pinhole. There's a pinhole, so what would be the point of such a high divergence, if that is what FOV means?
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:36.

Take care to select a "hot mirror" that is coated to reflect IR at 45deg incidence.
    If not stated otherwise most IR mirrors/filters are meant to be used at right-angle.