Thread: Can't get Maxwell to work

Default Can't get Maxwell to work

I love the abstracts Maxwell creates but I can't get it to run on my computers. I've got a mid 2012 Macbook Pro which runs Maxwell, but the output to the laser via Helios isn't working properly, it updates the pattern very slowly and isn't playing what I see on screen. I've got a cheap PC laptop which won't run the Sprout version of Maxwell (error 'cannot create directx/opengl interop' ). The non Sprout version runs fine on the PC but doesn't support my Helios dac.

Does anyone know a way around the directx issue with a cheapo laptop/graphics card?

Have you contacted Jonny about it? I've found he's always been very helpful with support.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I Had probs...but tried a 3rd PC AND works great...both members were very helpful.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Quote Originally Posted by 488nm View Post
    I love the abstracts Maxwell creates but I can't get it to run on my computers. I've got a mid 2012 Macbook Pro which runs Maxwell, but the output to the laser via Helios isn't working properly, it updates the pattern very slowly and isn't playing what I see on screen. I've got a cheap PC laptop which won't run the Sprout version of Maxwell (error 'cannot create directx/opengl interop' ). The non Sprout version runs fine on the PC but doesn't support my Helios dac.

Does anyone know a way around the directx issue with a cheapo laptop/graphics card?
    Sounds like there are two separate issues here, right?

1) You are having trouble with Maxwell and the Helios DAC when running on a MacBook Pro (Mac OS?)
    2) You are trying an earlier version of Maxwell for PC because you also have a cheap PC that lacks the OpenGL drivers to work with Spout - but earlier versions don't support the Helios DAC?

# 2 - There is nothing much I can do here. Syphon and Spout are inherently OpenGl protocols, and require modern OpenGl hardware and drivers. Unfortunately, the version of Maxwell that supports the Helios DAC also have Syphon and Spout support coupled.

#1 - I am really interested in this issue, as I have never had a report of the Helios DAC not working.

Please contact me via PM so we can figure out a way to discuss offline. It should just work.

Hi, I have just purchased Maxwell and can't get it to do anything. The actual programme installed without any problems, and the controls all work, but I don't see anything on the preview screen. I have installed version 1.5 on a windows desktop PC running Win 10, with a Helios DAC. I also don't know what "Spout" is - should I be using that version instead?

Default Progress

Ok, playing about a bit more. If I load the presets supplied with the software it seems to work fine. It's just trying to create anything from scratch doesn't seem to do anything. I must be doing something wrong, but I will keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by xntrix View Post
    Hi, I have just purchased Maxwell and can't get it to do anything. The actual programme installed without any problems, and the controls all work, but I don't see anything on the preview screen. I have installed version 1.5 on a windows desktop PC running Win 10, with a Helios DAC. I also don't know what "Spout" is - should I be using that version instead?

All working now - just got to figure out what all the controls do. It took me a while to realise that to move the "knobs" you just click on one and move the mouse up and down. Must be my age Anyway, many hours will now be spent playing with this.

Quote Originally Posted by xntrix View Post
    Ok, playing about a bit more. If I load the presets supplied with the software it seems to work fine. It's just trying to create anything from scratch doesn't seem to do anything. I must be doing something wrong, but I will keep trying!