Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: most suitable motor for a shutter?

But I've been watching, and so have others
    Which is always what you say and it is as creepy every time.
    And talk about respect, that's one hell of a respectful post.
    And again you are excellent in painting the one you want to win a villain and rely on group mentality to get others on your side.
    Once again, I've got nothing else to tell you, I've already said all there is.

Quote Originally Posted by shoujin View Post
    Which is always what you say
    You've been on the forum one whole month and already you know what I always say, huh?

Stop right there for just a second and think about how wrong that statement clearly is. I've posted volumes here. And you now claim to know what I always say? Does that not strike you as being just a tad bit presumptuous? A tiny bit arrogant? Just a wee bit of hyperbole? How much of what I say (and have said) have you actually read?

Honestly dude, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt. I even PMed other members asking their opinions, because I thought that maybe there was a language barrier at work here. Or some sort of developmental issue even. (No, that's not an insult.) I've worked with a number of very intelligent people (way, *way* smarter than me) who had trouble explaining themselves because of this and thought that it might be the case again.

I was looking for any reason apart from "he's just being a jerk".

If you think that's "creepy" then I don't know what to say. It was literally just me being measured in my response and not flying off the handle at the first perceived slight from a new member who might just be overly-enthusiastic but inexperienced and thus unaware that his passion is being misinterpreted as blatant arrogance, if not outright disrespect. (And note that disrespect will eventually be answered in kind, no matter how principled a person is.)

I'd also like to point out that this "villain" language is yours, not mine. (For the record, and for levity, my word was ASK-hole! )

I went back and re-read several of your threads before I posted, just to be sure I hadn't missed something. I challenge you to do the same. If after doing that you still don't see it, well, then I'll agree that there's nothing more to say. Personally, I'd like to think there's still hope, but if you're giving up - so be it.

Adam

I've been here for years, you're actually the sole reason why some prefer to stay anonymous and are forced to drop their old usernames, because arguing about every single point after you identify someone as an enemy and villainizing them by digging through their old posts and interpreting everything they have ever said in old posts incorrectly or in a bad way, PMing others with leading questions and then using that to claim you are not alone, PMing the admin, this is the sort of obsessive behavior that is the definition of creepy.

I have made some good friends here over the years but you alone sure know how to force someone to quit visiting a place they like, at least for a while.

I tried to reason with you years ago and once I thought we finally seemed to have come to an understanding but they way you keep acting is and always has been creepy.

And don't tell me you PM others about me, I've gotten PMs from others telling me you've PMd them and asked to not continue arguing with you because "that's just the way he is".
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-18-2018 at 11:21.

Quote Originally Posted by shoujin View Post
    I've been here for years, you're actually the sole reason why some prefer to stay anonymous and are forced to drop their old usernames,
    I see... Because people who hide behind multiple user accounts clearly only do that because everyone else is wrong, and not because they can't face the fact that they might be the asshole in the room....

If you ever feel the need to hide behind another anonymous user account, you might want to first consider the very real possibility that you were wrong to start with.

But who am I kidding? If you can't be honest with your own identity there's no way you will have the introspection needed to see how your actions are at odds with the group. Your pitiful (and wholly inaccurate) claims do not merit further response. People like you are cancer to forums. (Seriously, you've provided nothing of value with this latest account. Just a bunch of questions and drama.)

You want to leave? Fine. Sounds like you already know where the door is. I won't stand in you way. I suspect no one else will either. Bye now...

Adam

Don't make this about a group, the whole forum or the community, everytime you're the one who starts a drama and my issue is with you alone. I have friends here.
    Your pitiful (and wholly inaccurate) claims do not merit further response.
    Right back at you. Bye.

Buffo is one of the most respected members on here. As he has said, you have received good advice, it's just you don't want to listen.

If you want a cheap Chinese made piece of sh*t for $2 a pop, then go buy one. It looks you're probably Chinese so I'm sure there are plenty of places in Shenzen you can source laser parts from for next to nothing. If you want quality, then take the advice you're being given here from people who know what they're talking about. Just a few years ago Buffo was servicing laser technology on US Nuclear Submarines, what did you used to do?

The VRAD is the best shutter solution out there. If that's too expensive and this is a home project, the try and source yourself a GM20 or a second hand GM20.

As for you requirements, something that moves constantly between 2 angles 120 times a second sounds more like a Galvo than a shutter. Off the top I'd have thought a 506 is what you want. There are cheap applications of that as it's main use is industrial not laser. But again, you won't talk to Pangolin, or at least their pricing is too expensive for you.

Beyond that, you have your own answers if your priority is purely that it's cheap. Just remember if you buy something that's goes cheap, you're likely to get a Dodo, just as if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
    Last edited by White-Light; 04-19-2018 at 00:27.

Japanese, close enough. Look I think I know Adam Burns better than many people here. And he or anyone giving advice can be a Nobel laureate for all I care, if their advice doesn't sound good to me it doesn't sound good to me. What I was referencing was Goldenstar's AL-15K scanners. You can just buy one galvo if you ask them, you can even omit the PSU and use a smaller dual rail PSU which costs $5. It's a pretty good scanner for simple stuff, especially this. Many of you keep buying from Goldenstar which is proof theirs is good enough but keep calling their or more broadly chinese products shit, a bit ironic. I don't think AL-15K is expensive, I just thought it may be too much for such a simple task even if it costs very little. Thread was also posted here and got good answers without bullshit drama from one obsessive user. Because in most communities I visit we don't have toxic people looking for drama and group mentality is discouraged. Sadly this hasn't changed much in older bulletin boards because of their design...
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-19-2018 at 15:20.

Woah. This thread is ridiculous.
    Why can't his assertion be accepted that the price of a vrad is not acceptable for his application? He may not be needing bulk.
    This thread went from 0 to 60 in a matter of a few posts.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Unfortunately Gary, I think it was the tone. He asked for a suggestion and gave some basic parameters. He was given a decent answer. Instead of saying something like, "Unfortunately the VRAD is a bit too expensive for the budget of this project..."
    The response was simply.... "the VRAD would suck for this". Had the response been the former, my guess is there wouldn't even have been a follow up from buffo and it would have ended there. But when you come back with, "Thanks but, your suggestion sucked...." well then, it's naturally going to elicit a negative response in someone.
    On a different note, what I have always failed to understand is a persons need to create multiple accounts/screen names to perhaps deceptively try to hide from previous postings or maybe conflicts. Seems to happen a lot on here. And I'm not picking on the OP specifically... just generalizing. For me...I am who I am. If I get into it with someone, or make a mistake, or piss someone off... I'll just hash it out and then, move on. I don't need to try and come back to the forum leading people to believe I'm someone else. That's sort of a foreign idea to me.
    The other shutter motor I thought about initially was a G-20 by the way. But, they're still around $40 when you can find them and, I don't know if they actually meet those specs of 45 degrees 120 times per second. They might not.
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    On a different note, what I have always failed to understand is a persons need to create multiple accounts/screen names to perhaps deceptively try to hide from previous postings or maybe conflicts.
    It's because this person was here before, trying to scrape PL for information on how to build some advanced optical projects that normally take millions of dollars and a gang of engineers to develop. They also wanted to do it cheaply. When the answers weren't satisfactory enough, they started behaving the same way. They tried LPF, Reddit and other forums and found that some of the most experienced optical engineers were here and decided to try scraping again as a different user. I am probably wrong but I'd guess it's a college student, majoring in optical engineering because they have technical knowledge but very little experience. Anyway, I wish they were a little more humble and way more honest about their intentions here.