Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: most suitable motor for a shutter?

If it helps end the argument... we discontinued making the big square VRAD 1510 actuator because its a pain in the ass to build, high parts cost, low profit margin. Takes exactly as long to make as a set of Saturn galvos, and I sell the Saturn galvos for $2500+ all day long. Can only get $99 for a VRAD. I've still got parts to make about 50 more simply because I haven't yet mustered up the excitement to walk them to the dumpster.

I think there might be one lonely picture left on the website, but the datasheets are gone
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I will say... it's been refreshing to see activity on PL... even if it's been this. I hate opening the browser and not seeing anything updated for the day to read. Even though everybody is there, Facebook just doesn't cut it.
    PM Sent...

Between this place being basically dead, and boycott of the Laserist page, I have nobody to argue with anymore!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by shoujin View Post
    unfounded claims and attempts to doxx.
    Doxxing would be me posting your personal information and asking others to stomp a mud-hole in your ass.

I have not done that, and I will not do that.

I've merely provided enough information to show that we're aware of your various identities and know what you've been doing. So stop it already! I've also made sure that none of that information identifies your true identity.

First you try to trick me into providing personal info with your eastern europe comment
    Do you remember nothing from our conversation in 2014 where we discussed how TOR works, and how for certain types of traffic you can't control your exit node, and how having the same traffic to the forum coming from the same node(s), for the same subset of users, who are all arguing in the same thread, with similar and/or sequential log-in times, is considered prima facie evidence of sock-puppeting?

The geographic location of the node is not the issue; it is an identifier only. The commonality is the issue. I thought you at least understood that from 4 years ago, as we discussed it ad nauseam via PM. It's incidental that those nodes are located in eastern Europe. (Well, not entirely incidental, but again, this was another issue with TOR you didn't understand, and clearly still don't.) The point is, it doesn't mean you reside there. (Especially since you're actually in my old stomping ground.) Get it now?

Protip: True security on the Internet is hard work; it's not for dilettantes. You are not up to the task.

now try to guess my age range and ethnicity
    I don't need to guess any more, because I know now. (Honestly it wasn't exactly what I expected, although it was close.) And the funny thing is that I didn't even go looking for the information! Other people who know you on other sites offered the information to me. That's right - offered. I didn't ask anyone for it.

And I'll say it again - I have no plans to post your identity. I don't play that game.

But if you can be honest with yourself for once in your life, you have to admit that you've been lying about this for a very, very long time. I guess you're upset now that you've been caught. Serves you right for lying, in my opinion.

You are pathological, but even that doesn't mean I'm going to doxx you. But I do think you're one great big grotesque steaming pile of shit for lying so vehemently for so long. Always playing the victim card too. Fuck everything about that.

Adam

PS: Saw the edit on your earlier post to remove the Chinese/Japanese gaff. Too bad for you that so many other people noticed it even before I mentioned it in my post. It's ultimately what led to your undoing. (That really was one of your bigger blunders, btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by White-Light View Post
    To bring this back to the request (or rant depending on your perspective), you already have your answers - the VRAD is the finest shutter out there (in many people's opinion). The Gm20 is the fall back. If you like neither for financial reasons, then you're kind of stuck on the shutter route unless you're buying in bulk.
    Actually, there is another version of the VRAD that is far less expensive than the traditional 1510. (I actually mentioned it above, before everything totally went to hell in this thread.) It does't have nearly as much torque or magnetic spring-return force, but that probably wouldn't be an issue for this application. Best thing though is that they are under 10 bucks in quantity. I don't have access to the datasheet, but Bill has brought examples of this version to at least 2 SELEMs and 1 FLEM in the past few years. Lots of people have had a chance to handle them. Maybe 1/4 the size of a compact 506 scanner (ish). Last I remember they were being used in the vision systems for self-driving cars... Should be capable of something close to 1Khz on a small step even at very low voltage, but I don't recall the timing for a 45 degree rotation.

Truthfully I'm amazed at what Pangolin has done with all of their scanners lately. Bill demonstrated a custom Saturn scanner with a second coil set somehow shoehorned into the case at SELEM last year. This turned the galvo into a true motor that could rotate 360 degrees. The thing accelerated at mind-blowing speeds. Wrap your head around this: 40,000 dyne-centimeters per volt! Put another way, with a load on the rotor roughly equal to the rotor mass, it could accelerate from o (rest) to 120,000 RPM and back to 0 in less than a millisecond.

Let that sink in for a moment...

EDIT: Cool - just noticed Ryan jumped in on this thread. He can probably quote the specs better than I can. For sure he should be able to shed some light on the smaller actuator we all saw, assuming they still make it, that is. (Did not know about the early demise of the 1510, although I totally get his point and agree that Saturns are the future.)

You're always able to keep going on and on unless the other person quits, I don't understand, agree or accept anything you rambled nor do I need to read insults online, you creep, so you win. There. Keep being the crazy demented creepy fuck you've always been.
    Last edited by shoujin; 04-26-2018 at 03:19.

Yes, even though I don't log in much anymore, my "somebody is talking about PangoScanners" senses started tingling

We still make the 506 actuator (VRAD 506) which cost than a bottle of decent whiskey in reasonable quantity. Identical to C506 package size

There is also the < $10 galvo, in quantities of 10,000 pcs or more. We have licensed out the design to a few new clients for a combined quantity of something like 800,000 to be made by the end of the year in consumer level laser projectors, 3D printers and autonomous vehicles. With a reasonable per-piece licensing fee, of course!

Oh look, I hijacked another thread. One of my unfortunate specialties, although maybe not a bad thing this time...
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Name:	bucket.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	53872

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    Between this place being basically dead, and boycott of the Laserist page, I have nobody to argue with anymore!
    Hehee. Ryan, please feel encouraged to join the small sub-community in the chat room anytime you want to argue . . or joke . . or chat about anything.

-David
    "Help, help, I'm being repressed!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    We still make the 506 actuator (VRAD 506) which cost than a bottle of decent whiskey in reasonable quantity. Identical to C506 package size
    I'm pretty sure the VRAD 506 is the model I was talking about above, although I remember it being smaller than the 506 scanners for some reason. Is there any other VRAD model, or is that pretty much it?

There is also the < $10 galvo, in quantities of 10,000 pcs or more.
    What is the form factor of that unit? I know Bill has talked about it before, but I can't remember actually seeing one in person.

We have licensed out the design to a few new clients for a combined quantity of something like 800,000 to be made by the end of the year in consumer level laser projectors, 3D printers and autonomous vehicles.
    800,000 scanners is a shitload of scanners! Had no idea they were *that* popular. It seems congratulations are in order!

Adam