Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New UK Anti Smoking Laws & Hazers

I was watching a band once that had fog machines. They triggered the fire alarm and the fire department came and shut the place down for the night. haha. I've also set the fire alarm off in my house with mine. Luckily my garage doesn't have a fire alarm in it and that is where I do my home shows.

you might want to be sure your hazer output can be adjusted.

i have a cheapie american dj hazer,kind of a copy of a df50 with nowhere near the output.
    it sounds like one though
    it works real nice in a medium size club and doesn't get too thick.
    i find sometimes the things that suck about something are also cool at times.

just saying,if you're worried about keeping it under the radar at all,don't get something like a df50.
    they are sweet but last time i used one there was just one speed,full ahead.

So the last part of my question is still relevant - Suppose I go for a Hazer, what is the best liquid to use in it? Glycerol, Glycol or Oil?
    Well In the truest sense a hazer is an oil based machine. The used to be called "crackers" because they are cracking the oil molecules. The DF50 is a cracking type of machine. The mdg atmosphere (the best hazer period IMHO) is a hybrid it uses heat and pressure to crack the oil.

There are newer "hazers" that use a glycol fluid just like a regular fog machine. I have used them and i think they suck. I think they are more of a marketing and vehicle for selling way over priced fluid. We sold one to a club one time because the club was too cheap to buy a mdg or df50 and in a few short months they spent more on juice than they would have on a df50. The oil hazers linger much longer and use much less juice.

Any way I have set off fire alarms with all foggers and hazers. Df50, MDG, F-100, ZR33. The true oil hazers are the least likely to do it. The glycol "hazers" will do it just like a fogger.

Chad

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by chad View Post
    Well In the truest sense a hazer is an oil based machine. The used to be called "crackers" because they are cracking the oil molecules. The DF50 is a cracking type of machine. The mdg atmosphere (the best hazer period IMHO) is a hybrid it uses heat and pressure to crack the oil.

There are newer "hazers" that use a glycol fluid just like a regular fog machine. I have used them and i think they suck. I think they are more of a marketing and vehicle for selling way over priced fluid. We sold one to a club one time because the club was too cheap to buy a mdg or df50 and in a few short months they spent more on juice than they would have on a df50. The oil hazers linger much longer and use much less juice.

Any way I have set off fire alarms with all foggers and hazers. Df50, MDG, F-100, ZR33. The true oil hazers are the least likely to do it. The glycol "hazers" will do it just like a fogger.

Chad

Hi Chad

I've been looking at the MDG Atmosphere and have only heard good reports about it. The problem is they are VERY expensive. I was toying with the idea of hiring it out to local groups to try and recoup some of the outlay. I know our local theatrical society have hired hazers on many occasions and they pay quite a lot to rent one for a weeks show. I also like the MDG due to the fact it's an oil machine that breaks up the particles so small, apparently it's very economical to run, apart from the cost of the CO2. Seemingly the haze is very controllable and it hangs in the air for a long time.

I've heard this is the type of hazer the BBC use for their live TV shows. As I've previously mentioned I don't think a National TV company would want to use something if it was hazardous, and particularly if it left a sticky residue on their TV cameras etc. I watched a show on Saturday evening where they were obviously using a hazer, there were no obvious traces that there was anything hanging in the air, but when they shone those lights - Wow!!

Cheers

Jem

The mdg is expensive, no way around that but they kick ass. We had one of the duel output ones and did a rave in a indoor stadium (6000 seat or so) and I after about an hour the entire venue was at the perfect level for laser and lighting. The other nice thing about the MDG is you can adjust the output by lowering the pressure on the co2, and with the output capability of the mdg I did back it off quite a bit.

The only complaint I hear about them is the fact they need co2. Just get a 10lb bottle and you you will only have to refill it once every couple of months. For permanent installs we would have the beverage guy just run us a line from the clubs big co2 bottle and never have to worry about it. We have sold dozens of them and never had any problems. MDG is a great company to deal with and the product is top notch.

( I am not associated with mdg anymore but i have used most all of the pro foggers / hazers out and am very happy with the mdg stuff)

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I have had excellent results using a Le Maitre Neutron Hazer. We had one in a club for ages and it only needed filling once every 3 weeks (1/2 gallon fluid). The ZR20 needed filling every week (1 gallon fluid). The biggest venue I used it in was approx 1200 capacity. We turned it on as soon as we arrived, about 3 hours before the show and by the yime things kicked off, the atmosphere was excellent for the laser. We have also never had an issue with it setting off smoke alarms. Probably because its output is so fine. Recommended.

Yesterday was cool so the club I'm working on Saturdays turned off their AC and opened a door to patio. So I decided to disconnect a foger from piping system put it on the pedestal and shoot it high above peoples heads. The end result was spectacular. I must say a big THANX to Buffo for his step by step instruction on cleaning and unjemming fog machine pump. (http://photonlexicon.com/gallery/fogpump) Fog stayed near the sealing and trussing system and then slowly dripped down in very thin haze style. The lasers looked amazing as well as rest of lights. But the most important thing is that people were free to breath and see where they are going but still see gobos of moving heads because of thick cloud above their heads.

Cool

Heh... Glad to help out, Doc!

The light & laser show at your club sounds great. Now all you need is a fog chiller and you can put a layer at the patron's feet as well! (Although if they're dancing it probably won't stay down on the floor for very long.)

RE: Hazers... Yeah, they sure are expensive. I've heard good things about the mdg units as well, but at 3 grand + for one, I don't think I'll be buying one anytime soon. (Though to be fair a DF-50 runs close to 3 grand too...)

Pitty you couldn't make something similar yourself with an air compressor and an atomizer of some kind...

Adam

you can get the americandj haze generator for $399 us.
    it's no df50 but it is a cracker and for small to medium clubs could really help out if you are on a budget.
    it allows me to be stingy with any fog i do use in addition.
    i blow the fog up to the ceiling with a little clip fan to keep it out of the pretty little raver's faces.

Needing to make fog in a healthy way, we should avoid to crack mineral oil in a closed environment, due to the carcinogenic caracteristics of the burnt oil, plus is not so healthy to try to suffocate the crowd with massive amount of CO2...
    Nowadays, the tricks used in tv studios, are based on the different caracteristics of the fog juices available on the market. Take a look at this site:
    http://www.martin.com/productsubgrou...asp?psg=fluids

They have fluids superdense that vanish immediately after a band has performed on stage. If the tv show goes on with an interview to the singer, there will be no time to wait the fog to clear up.
    In tv of shows like "who wants to be a millionaire" they need a superfine haze with spots perfectly sharp and faces clearly visible.

It is just the matter to choose the right formulation (always water based).
    Last edited by Pitopito; 08-23-2007 at 12:54.