Thread: Laser engineer wage question...

Question Laser engineer wage question...

Hi! I currently work as a part time fibre laser manufacturer, and I've been offered a job as a laser engineer. I can't find tons about wages for laser engineers online, and I've been told I'd get about £26,000 a year, which goes to about £21,000 a year after tax&NI according to this site (https://www.income-tax.co.uk/). I'm living a little stretched but other than that fine on the £12,000 a year I'm on now so the extra wages would be nice. anyway - I was wondering if someone here could let me know if this is a decent wage for someone fairly experienced in most lasers but nothing super advanced/powerful (yet).

Thanks!
    Last edited by Abbottoxf; 05-14-2018 at 03:44. Reason: Removed weird characters before pound sign

I guess it depends on your education.?.

I'm assuming a "laser engineer" position would require a 4-year engineering degree at a minimum. And if that's the case then the salaries you posted seem rather low to me.

However, if you don't have a degree and they are still willing to give you a shot at the job, then it's probably worth taking it to build some experience. (And that might also explain the lower starting salary.)

Adam

Where are you located? What is the average cost of living where you are located. I agree with Buffo those wages seem low for an engineer. But if you are located in a country where the average cost of living is 10,000 then 26,000 would be very high.
    Watching Lasers Since 1981

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

54K$ + health benefits + per diem is a good starter level for a 4 year degree + five years experience here in the US for laser field servicing. Many make more then that, if they have the Masters or PhD.
    ~
    So 32K$ at todays conversion rate for Pounds to Dollars seems low, that is a first year technician pay in these parts of Ohio.

Define the duties attached to the job please? Engineer in the UK can often mean "Seriously Skilled Technician " such as a aircraft maintainer, whereas Engineer in the US means Four Year Engineering Degree. Unless your in IT, where they toss the "E" word out like its candy.
    `
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 05-14-2018 at 10:39.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...