Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wireless DMX... questions

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    I think I cracked the code on these Donner transceivers. I found out that these are true transceivers. Depending on how they are oriented they can be a transmitter or a receiver and they switch automatically. If they detect DMX data on the input, they will switch to xmitter mode. That being said, all DMX strings MUST have a terminator, and having one transmitter at the end of a string (as I had done originally) is a bad idea. Without a terminator, the DMX signal can reflect and switch the receiver to a xmitter. When it switches, if it's on the same wireless channel as any other receivers you might have (these have 6 channels to select from), the nearest receivers will start getting transmission from the receiver that just switched to xmitter. False cues and latency ensues. So, to sum up; use terminators and hook the transmitter to your DMX controller directly!

I ran a test in my house last year to see if I could get these to work. I made sure the line of sight was obstructed, I was streaming movies to a TV through WiFi and on a laptop. I had two separate bluetooth speakers going... I really wanted to clutter the 2.4GHz band to see if I could trip them up. They never missed a beat.

Don't know that much about DMX but I'm impressed! Cool setup using Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Don't know that much about DMX but I'm impressed! Cool setup using Beyond.
    Thanks! I was surprised at how robust the DMX suite was. I honestly find it easier to use than VenueMagic or other theater-level software. Good for lasers, good for productions!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.