Thread: Ion satellite beams

Default Ion satellite beams

Hello all,

Any thoughts on the two satellite beams located at 6 o'clock and 7 o'clock in this pic? I70.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stariic_1.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	891.8 KB 
ID:	54205

Similar question on this pic... Two ghost beams at 3 o'clock Different laser.. Actually, representative of two other I70's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	starii_1.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	549.2 KB 
ID:	54206

I suspect these may be ghost beams due to mirror wedge, given the first one is faint, and second one is even more faint. Maybe. At least, hoping.

Would appreciate any thoughts on both situations.

Thanks,
    Brad

Likely a reflection from the light-sense pickoff. Depending on how the OC "peripherals" are set up, it's relatively easy to remove the pickoff and only run in current mode. Otherwise, it could be some weird alignment artifact.

Thanks for the input.

Last night, i had taken a look at the light pickoff, cleaning it, etc. Didn't get to test it until just now.

Results were the same, with the cleaned pickoff.

So, testing your thought, I removed the front cover totally, eliminating the light sensor, etc.

The results were different. This eliminated one of the extraneous beams, leaving the main beam and the one at the 7 o'clock position.

Lightbulb

Heya Sir B -

Again, as we chatted, I - think - this was like the wierd 'side-bore' that Coherent built into the I-90 (for use in the Med-sleds..) for producing some sort of 'reference beam' (..I think it's just a 'Plasma-beam' not a truly coherent beam of Actual Laser Light, off the HR, iirc..) for the Med-config.. Would not have-expected to Also See this in the Entertainment heads, but.. I'm guessing they would have 'preferenced' (whatever it was they Did this for..) the overall Innova tube-design for the Sci / Med-industries (ie: I-60 and 70-tubes are also used in their Optho-heads and 'Enterprise' heads - which are Not (typically..) for us 'red-headed step-children' in Entertainment and, thus, we end up with this as a 'side-car' in the Purelight heads, as-with-in the I-90s...

...I imagine the 'rationale-convo' in the Cohr-Engineering Board-room went something like this: '...Meh, they (the Light show bastards..) are shooting this thru a PCAOM, anyway, so.. Who cares if there's an 'extra beam or two'?.. Just make One tube-design that favors our Sci / Med-customers' needs, and let those light show punks eat cake!' ... Something like that..

..I'm sure The P'Fessor will now come in and correct my thesis..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...